SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas i was wondering what are good struts for my 91 se-r?? also where can i order some cheap? would it be ok if just replaced the rear first then later down the road replace the fronts? if anyone can help hit it back. thanks for all your help in advance.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I've never tried replacing just 2 struts and then the other 2 at a later time. I would have to recommend doing them all at once.

On my 92 SE-R, I went with the KYB AGX adjustable shocks. Probably the best bang for the buck. I got mine from RD Enterprises last year for ~$460 total including shipping. This is a very good deal on what I think are good quality adjustable shocks. KYB also has some non-adjustable GR2 shocks that I've been happy with on my old Eclipse. They are a bit less expensive, probably ~$70 each.

Hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
202 Posts
I replaced my original struts with Tokikos a couple years ago. They seemed fantastic, although they were replacing the original ones that had 135K on them. Anything was an improvement. I think I paid $120 each for the fronts and $80 each for the rears.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just asked a similar question, but got no responses.
I just replaced the front struts on my car with the kYB GR-2. I bought them from Tirereack. They were $57 each. The ride is a lot better, bet tehn again the struts were shot before.
I haven't replaced the rears yet(no money), but the ride is not bad. I think it's ok to hange the fronts without changing the rear, or vice-versa, but i could be wrong. i don't race my car, so maybe if you do somebody could have better advice.

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
I have had GR2's on my 91 for about 10k miles now, and they already have zero rebound left... I would suggest spending a little more for some AGX's... after riding in a car with them it's a pretty significant difference IMO

------------------
Brian
AIM: pdxs2000
91 se-r (fmax stg2 @ 1.1 bar)
00 s2000

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used Monroe struts all around on my 91 SE-R from Advance. They do fine and are cheap. I will see if I have a part # this weekend when back home. Anyway there are two choices, I got the slightly more expensive ones. Advance replaced the ones I damaged in a wreck with no questions.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I have AGX's up front and Tokrapicos on the rear on my classic. The AGX is head and shoulders above what the options used to be. With the AGX, you have adjustability and superior dampening for the price of the Tokico.

I've autocrossed with the AGX/Tokico setup to no adverse effects, but I'm running stock class (stock springs). If you plan to run aftermarket springs down the road, the Tokicos and other low-tier struts are right out.

For nothing but street driving on a stock car, the AGX isn't necessary. However, it's our best value out there for off-the-shelf performance struts. Whatever fits your budget - having a safe and drivable car is first priority.

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
would any of you guys reccomend me putting a tokico strut/spring kit for my 93 sentra se-r?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Put AGXs and Ground Control springs. That will be the best handling option (for cheap) if you want to lower or race the car.

For better stuff look at www.motivational.net

I wish I could afford that setup..

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I have to agree with Scarpa. If you are going to do any racing/autocrossing/tracks schools, same some dough and get the AGX/Ground Control setup. If money is no object, get some shortened struts from Motivational or Truechoice. But, if you don't lower the car much more than an inch, AGXs should be fine. From what I understand, SE-Rs can be perfectly corner weighted with coilovers and only a 1 inch drop.

I have a friend with the Tokiko shock/Tokiko spring setup. It's OK. I'm not much for the progressive nature of aftermarket springs, though. GC coilover springs are linear rate. Much better for racing, IMO.

That's my $.02, take it or leave it.

Matt

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 01-23-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts