SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else here think it is a bit unfare to be put in a the same class as a WRX, i had a hell of a time matching times with those cars at the autocross today. I mean i really had to drive on the ragged edge just to keep up, not to mention i had massive play in my steering wheel b/c of a busted control arm bushing. sorry guys just had to vent a little it's been a long frustrating day.

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Tell me about it! I had people posting times three seconds higher than mine, but because of the index they placed higher. WTF

------------------
Russ Knezic
Place Racing CAI,JWT S4 cams and JWT ECU with S4 program, hotshot gen3 header, greddy SP exhaust, KYB AGX's and Ground Controls, Konig Traffiks with Nitto NT555's

Turbo soon!
N/A is not enough

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
No, not really. My last few autocrosses in STS were against some WRXs. Mainly stock, but one was modded lightly. A Classic SE-R (or a 200SX SE-R) set up right will run with a WRX most days. I know I could run with them. We were close, sure, but that only makes things fun.

Of course, now I'm in Street Mod, where anything goes (literally). I'm sure I'll get whooped on eventually.

Not to brow-beat here...but your control arm bushing may have played a role in you're feeling like you do.

You can run with a WRX. You can run with a WRX. You can run with a WRX.

All better now.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
The WRX has no business in STS. I deal with that stuff at most all my local events. 2 weeks ago I was running against 2 civic hatches with engine swaps. It was so gratifying to whoop dat ass. They were in the top 30, I was in the top 2.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
WRX's shouldn't be in STS because of the turbo. If they were in STS, you should politely point out that they are GS/ESP/SM cars.

Are you sure it wasn't a non-turbo Impreza? The new NA ones look exactly like the WRX's except for the hood.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm definatly sure they were WRX they all lined up with there hoods open it's kinda hard to miss the big intercooler, but we had a good battle the top four spots were less than a second apart (1)WRX (2)WRX (3)2.5 RS
(4)200sx SE-R me (5)WRX (6)gti vr6 (7)gsr (8)
2.5 RS....
BTW how hard is it to change a control arm bushing does it have to be pressed in and how much are they???

·
Registered
98 Posts
the whole thing with the ST and SM classes is that they were meant to allow popular mods to street vehicles that are sometimes not allowed in street prepared (this way they dont compete with fully prepped, not-street-legal vehicles). it was a marketing tool to attract new competitors to the world of autocross. well, it worked, quite fantastically. STS is often the biggest class at any auto-x. i personally think that it is big enough to justify setting street touring as its own category (in addition to stock, street prepared, prepared, and modified), and having classes within it based on engine displacement, FI vs. NA, or mirror the stock classes, whatever.
kinda like STA, STB, STC... and an SMS and SMR (one street mod class for each tire type)

------------------
Shawn
-----
current car(s):
1989 Acura Integra LS
1997 200SX SE-R
1973 Super Beetle

Next car:
AE86 Corolla GT-S or
S14 Nissan 240SX (16V DOHC, not 12V SOHC)

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shadowboy:
STS is often the biggest class at any auto-x. i personally think that it is big enough to justify setting street touring as its own category (in addition to stock, street prepared, prepared, and modified), and having classes within it based on engine displacement, FI vs. NA, or mirror the stock classes, whatever.
kinda like STA, STB, STC... and an SMS and SMR (one street mod class for each tire type)

</font>
I fully agree. STS is most always the largest class at all my events. It is also full of Newbies making STS know as the pain in the ass class. Even if they would break it up into 5-6 would be great. like: front drive/turbo, FD/NA, Rear drive/turbo, RD/NA, 4wd/turbo, 4wd/NA. Jumble them together in events of low turnout.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
WRXs are not legal in STS. Protest them and throw the SCCA rulebook at them.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Here's a question... What would make the WRX NOT an STS car? I'm not sure if the rulebook specifically states the WRX as ineligible for STS or not. Reading the rulebook (online) it states, "Vehicles for this category include all coupes/sedans with a minimum of four seats, four seat belts; that are not sports car based, with a maximum displacement 3.1 liters, normally aspirated and certain small displacement turbocharged sedans." It even lists the Mazda 323GTX and the Audi A4 1.8T as cars eligible for STS (both turbo cars, I might add).

Could it be the LSD? I recall hearing that the rear diff was a viscous type unit, so that would still be legal for STS.

I'm still apathetic, unaware, and uninformed... So if anyone could tell me what would make them illegal STS (ex. ITR's helical LSD), that would be great, because there was a WRX that ran in STS this past weekend in our region (SF), and I believe he finished ahead of me. Would matter to me, though, as I'm not really looking to trophy.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
98 Posts
the WRX is only not legal for STS if they modify the the turbo system, i.e., boost controller and what-not

that puts them in SM

------------------
Shawn
-----
current car(s):
1989 Acura Integra LS
1997 200SX SE-R
1973 Super Beetle

Next car:
AE86 Corolla GT-S or

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
Reading the rulebook (online) it states, "Vehicles for this category include all coupes/sedans with a minimum of four seats, four seat belts; that are not sports car based, with a maximum displacement 3.1 liters, normally aspirated and certain small displacement turbocharged sedans." It even lists the Mazda 323GTX and the Audi A4 1.8T as cars eligible for STS (both turbo cars, I might add). </font>
The Audi/VW cars are the only "certain small displacement turbocharged sedans" allowed per the Solo II rulebook. Unless there was something in Fastrack, the Mazda isn't eligible either.

Here's exactly what it says in the SCCA rulebook:

---
Vehicles for this category include all coupes/sedans with a minimum of four seats, four seat belts; that are not sports car based, with a maximum displacement 3.1 liters, normally aspirated and certain small displacement turbocharged sedans. No limited slips are permitted except for factory viscous coupler type units.

ELIGIBLE VEHICLES:
a. All vehicles meeting the above criteria
b. Volkswagen Golf/Jetta/Beetle 1.8T
c. Audi A4 1.8T, non-Quattro
---

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

[This message has been edited by slowSER (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
98 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soupaflie:
The WRX has no business in STS. I deal with that stuff at most all my local events. 2 weeks ago I was running against 2 civic hatches with engine swaps. It was so gratifying to whoop dat ass. They were in the top 30, I was in the top 2.
</font>
they werent quite well set up civic hatches then
they can be made to handle... _VERY_ well.

i remember going to a couple auto-x's in the steel-cities region.. mike ancas has a 1984 civic 1500S hatchback there in EP, dyno'd at 85HP at the wheel.

FTD contender.. a few tenths from a 400HP supra turbo.. eating a ferrari F355 for lunch both days

not to mention me and my integra, and me and anna in her SE-R

------------------
Shawn
-----
current car(s):
1989 Acura Integra LS
1997 200SX SE-R
1973 Super Beetle

Next car:
AE86 Corolla GT-S or

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The WRX is not an STS car. Neither is a hybrid Civic. Both of those cars belong in Street Mod. Make sure they run in the right class next time. It does no one any good to be running in the wrong class.

That said, I haven't seen many WRXs that run faster than me w/o race tires. I ran yesterday and may have gotten beaten by one or two though, but I'm pretty sure they weren't in STS. I've autoxed a WRX 3 times, they are FAST cars but keep you real busy. If you see one running fast then it's got a real good driver.

I ran Andrew Phan's (RollcageSR20) car yesterday and he got 4th I think in STS and I was a bit behind him. This was on a stock suspension with a clutch, motor mounts and ghetto intake. We'll be running my car for the rest of the season with a proper STS setup.
I'll keep ya posted on our progress.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
I agree that the WRX is not an exceptional autocross car. I also agree that if someone is running one fast they are a good driver. In the past three events I have only been beaten by one WRX. Granted we are in different classes, I was curious as to their times so I was paying attention.

Anyway, don't Andy's motor mounts put him out of STS? I thought those were not allowable mods. in the touring class.

And yeah those civic hatches can be a bitch, I'm running a GA16 200 in the SM class, and I got romped by a civic hatch on Sunday. Oh well, there's always next weekend!

late,
wes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts