SR20 Forum banner

Stuck parking brake

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
It sounds like a frozen caliper. I had to rebuild mine, and I replaced the cable just in case.

Unless you park on a hill, just leave the car in a stout gear (like reverse), and don't use the brake at all.

Or don't use it when it's damp out.

#2 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spnx:
It sounds like a frozen caliper. </font>

That is it. Dam expensive to replace
If you have to.

Someone said we should be lubricating the caliper pins. Can anyone explain this a bit better? (Where and how to?)

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies and a matching child car seat!
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

G
#3 ·
would changing the two rear calipers and the line be that expensive for a DIY? and would that be better than rebuilding the calipers? I think I heard that Pep Boys has rear calipers for our cars?(can anyone confirm that?) I'm really tired of having to shut the car off and park on gear everytime I get out of the car.

Horus, I read your posting from a few months ago and Im just curious how u got rid of this problem.
Nick

#4 ·
I'm not sure about the rear brakes but I rebuilt the front calipers and it wasn't a very difficult job at all. You can get the rebuild kit from a dealer for about 10 bucks. Otherwise just stop using the parking brake. A friend of mine never uses his because he had a car once with a broken handbrake and got in the habit of using the tranny as a parking brake.

G
#5 ·
would parking with the tranny( using gears) instead of the parking brake cause any problems on the gears? (I heard this myth from some unreliable source and I just want to make sure). what do you guys think about that?
thanks,
Nick

G
#7 ·
Hey guys, has anybody encountered the parking brake problem I'm having? basically when ever I engage it, the only way to release it is if you crawl under the car and force it off by hand at the release point(if I just pull down the handle, it just feels real loose and the brakes still hold the car) . Okay so my question is, does this sound like a frozen caliper? or a cable problem? and how can I check for the calipers?
Thanks in advance,
Nick

#8 ·
One of mine could be salvaged. But the second caliper was seized beyond repair. (Dam salt) Anyway I had to buy a new one for that left rear one. Once that was taken care of my cable just need to be re-attached (re-tightened really) If I knew what to do to keep them from seizing up I’d do it. But I’m not going to start lubricating my breaks unless I know exactly where.

Lubing breaks makes me think of warnings like: Don't paint heat detectors or Don't use around open flame.

#10 ·
I retightened the e-brake cable behind the handle and wd-40 the back of rear brake calipers (by the springs and moving parts on cable) and it worked for me.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

#11 ·
My left rear froze up on my car. Since your handle is really loose, it's not the cable (unless it broke). I PB Blasted the big nut (heh heh) that the spring is mounted on, and worked the lever several times. That worked like a charm. You should check to see that your rear brakes aren't dragging, or you are going to run into higher cost quickly.

------------------
-=Matt=- 97 SE-R 94,000smiles+, POP, custom 2.25" exhaust, ACT, Shifter, ST sways, AV22VFs (new!)

G
#13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:
I retightened the e-brake cable behind the handle and wd-40 the back of rear brake calipers (by the springs and moving parts on cable) and it worked for me.

</font>
the wd-40 thing, didn't quite work on mine. and another thing is that the parking brake doesn't hold the right rear side at all(I suspect a snapped cable?) Anyone know where I can get the cable? I tried trak auto and pep boys and they don't have it.

#14 ·
On mine, the mechanical lever on the caliper stuck in the on position, then when I put the hand brake lever down, there was enough slack in the cable to simply unhook it. I thought I had a broken cable too. Make sure you check before you order one.

------------------
-=Matt=- 97 SE-R 94,000smiles+, POP, custom 2.25" exhaust, ACT, Shifter, ST sways, AV22VFs (new!)

G
#15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Driven97:
On mine, the mechanical lever on the caliper stuck in the on position, then when I put the hand brake lever down, there was enough slack in the cable to simply unhook it. I thought I had a broken cable too. Make sure you check before you order one.

Okay thanks I'll do that, I'm just waiting on a sunny day to come by.

</font>

G
#17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fast91SER:
broken cable is definately a possibilty, i had one broken cable, and the brake would stick. $45 and 2 hours later, it worked great.

</font>
Do you know any online stores where I can get one from? I live in the middle of nowhere and all we got is NAPA around here.
Thanks,
Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.