SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SHIFTy
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the scoop on a new supplemental class called STX? Someone mentioned it briefly on the se-r main list.

Chris

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
It's contained in the Feb '02 FasTrack:

http://www.scca.org/news/fastrack/02-02.pdf

PDF files are a royal pain to deal with, so I'll just post the text here:

7) The following are the 2002 rules for STX, which will be included as a supplemental, prototype class at Solo II National Tour and ProSolo National Series events.

STX
1) All allowances in STS would carry over, including street tires, rim restrictions, emissions, etc.

2) All restrictions regarding body type carry over.

3) Engine size allowance: up to 5.1, normally aspirated and 2.0, forced induction (single turbo or supercharger).

4) Only factory limited slip differentials (LSD) are allowed on AWD vehicles, as defined in Section 12.4. For 2WD vehicles and AWD vehicles that did not come with any type of limited slip differential
(including center differential or transfer case), a single aftermarket LSD may be added.

5) High flow catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach within six inches of the original unit.

6) Alternate motor mounts and/or engine locators (bobble struts) sold by the vehicle's manufacturer or their Motorsports subsidiary or affiliate (Chrysler/Mopar, Toyota/TRD, Honda/Mugen, etc.) are allowed. *Bugger. No ES parts? How stupid!

7) Alternate driver and front passenger seats are allowed, but they cannot be constructed of a solid outer shell and must have a suspended bottom cushion and be fully upholstered.

8) Brake rotors and calipers are unrestricted, but must attach to the original attachment points. *AD22VF's are okay! Good thing.

9) Additionally excluded cars: BMW M3 (E36 and E46), BMW M5 (all).

It also said the B15 SE-R (both flavors) goes to DS in Solo, and SSB in Club Racing. The SE-R is the underdog, once again.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Sounds like a big-car STS with a couple of extra mods thrown in. It could be interesting... Hey, would a DET swapped SE-R be allowed in this class?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Here's what I posted about the same thing over at honda-tech.com:

"Kurt Spitzner is the former marketing guy at SCCA. He also used to be Tarheel SCC President. Some people in the club cornered him a year or so ago when he was back in town and got this out of him:
The SCCA is catching a bunch of **** from the environmentalists about promoting a class for street driven cars (street prepared) where the driver can remove all the emission equiptment. They have no problem with prepared and modified cars since they are generally not streetable and are carried around on trailers instead of driven to events. The SCCAs answer is street touring, basically an emissions legal form of street prepared.

Matt's thoughts: I would not be shocked to see street prepared done away with or renamed as something else, with street touring taking it's place."

*AD22VF's are okay! Good thing.
If you have a Classic, I believe you can get away with this under the update/backdate clause. I've always heard the early '91s from Japan came with the AD22VFs.

would a DET swapped SE-R be allowed in this class?
Probably not, that's what street mod is for.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
MaddMatt said:

Probably not, that's what street mod is for.
According to fastrack, STX is replacing street mod.

·
SHIFTy
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MaddMatt said:
If you have a Classic, I believe you can get away with this under the update/backdate clause. I've always heard the early '91s from Japan came with the AD22VFs.
All heresay. That's never been proven and many have tried, so I don't think so.

With regard to DETs, I see nothing in the brief description that says that turbos must be factory equipped - yet.

Chris

·
I drive a race car again!
1,370 Posts
All standard STS rules apply - DET's will still be in Street Mod.
The intent is for factory installed (in USA) turbos such as WRX's.
Goos luck convincing someone at a Divisional or National that your B13 "came with a turbo, honest!" :D

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
you will get protested if you try to run an event with a DET..... its insane what type of low end power you get with the DET at 9 psi..... The first time I went to a local event with the DET they "accidently" put me in STS for a mirror event..... that was an easy event....point and shoot and I still had 4 secs+ on the closest car..... he didnt protest me though, since it was local

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Woohoo! A class that fits my car! I have a Quaife but no power adding mods unless you call open airbox a power adding mod. :D

·
SHIFTy
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't NXen come with LSDs? According to item 4, aftermarket LSDs are acceptable for cars not originally equipped with LSDs. Sorry to rain on your parade. :( To me it sounds like a penalty against OEM equipped VLSD cars. Hopefully they clarify this.

Chris

·
Registered
504 Posts
Only AWD cars are limited to factory LSDs. 2WD and Open-Diff AWD cars are allowed to use one aftermarket diff. Ben's car should be fine. At least thats how I read it...

Josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
MEclassic said:
Only AWD cars are limited to factory LSDs. 2WD and Open-Diff AWD cars are allowed to use one aftermarket diff. Ben's car should be fine. At least thats how I read it...

Josh
This is how I read it too. I could add a LSD and a brake upgrade to my car and be legal for STX.

If STX is replacing STR, and STX is running on street tires, where do the people with race tires than ran STR go to???

Side note, do they have the STS complete rules posted again? I know they had them down due to changes, but since that is seemingly over, have they been reposted?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts