SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are one or two people on this board that have a gti-r, have they/you converted them from RHD to LHD ? if so were did you have it done ? I know some one trying to bring one over but they need a conversion so it can be legal

Thanks

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
You can legally drive a RHD in America. I don't think that's the problem. The thing is the safety ratings and emissions. There's a guy down in Miami that had a tag on his. Who knows if it was legal. Now if someone were to REALLY want one. What was the last year they made a pulsar in the u.s.? You could buy the GTiR, then buy the U.S. pulsar, and accidentally register the u.s. version instead of the other. A real pro could mysteriously make the vin numbers switch too. Just a thought.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can legally drive a RHD in America. I don't think that's the problem. The thing is the safety ratings and emissions. There's a guy down in Miami that had a tag on his. Who knows if it was legal. Now if someone were to REALLY want one. What was the last year they made a pulsar in the u.s.? You could buy the GTiR, then buy the U.S. pulsar, and accidentally register the u.s. version instead of the other. A real pro could mysteriously make the vin numbers switch too. Just a thought.
that may work in the US but not in Canada unless its befor a certin year, even if you switch the vins you will get busted by cops.

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
Kind of off the topic, but I was thinking of taking the tags off a US spec Lancer, importing an EVO, then putting the tags on there. Even though I only have about $400 to my name, and I know this probably wont work, it seems like a godd idea.:D

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Nick said:

that may work in the US but not in Canada unless its befor a certin year, even if you switch the vins you will get busted by cops.
Probably because the cops in the US aren't as car wise? When I used to live in Cinti I remember seeing the new Lotus Elise at the alignment shop where I used to take my car. The owner also had another Lotus (Europa I think) which had special collector plates. If he wanted to take the Elise out on the road he just put on the collector plates.

Steve

·
You're my boy blu!!!!
296 Posts
Nick said:

I do know the italian imported gti-r are left hand drive from the factory if that helps you out any.

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
camoser said:

I do know the italian imported gti-r are left hand drive from the factory if that helps you out any.
Ahhhh, there is no such thing as Italian GTi-R's. There were two markets for Gti-R's: Japan and Europe (not any specific region). Now if your talking about different versions of Gti-R's, that's different.
Yes there were left hand drive Gti-R's in the European market only, but the numbers on those are very low (like about 110 built). About 85 % of the left hand drive GTi-R's where factory built rally cars that came with Rollcage (yes rollcage), no ABS, no power options, semi stripped interior, white paint only and supposedly a 240hp tuned engine. If you can find one that's not used as a rally car, in decent condition it would probably cost as much as a R33 Skyline.
My father has 2 GTi-R's and my uncle has one also. Neither of them are in the US and all there are right hand drive. But they do come with a trick umbrella built into the door pillar :D

·
You're my boy blu!!!!
296 Posts
Sr20 B12 said:

Ahhhh, there is no such thing as Italian GTi-R's. There were two markets for Gti-R's: Japan and Europe (not any specific region). Now if your talking about different versions of Gti-R's, that's different.
Yes there were left hand drive Gti-R's in the European market only, but the numbers on those are very low (like about 110 built). About 85 % of the left hand drive GTi-R's where factory built rally cars that came with Rollcage (yes rollcage), no ABS, no power options, semi stripped interior, white paint only and supposedly a 240hp tuned engine. If you can find one that's not used as a rally car, in decent condition it would probably cost as much as a R33 Skyline.
My father has 2 GTi-R's and my uncle has one also. Neither of them are in the US and all there are right hand drive. But they do come with a trick umbrella built into the door pillar :D

in italy the gti-r are left hand drive and they drive on the same side of the road as the united states, I know this because i was stationed there temporarily for about six months, I saw 2 gti-r on siganella naval air station, no rollcage no racing interior, but completely stock. I have pictures give some time to locate them.

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
Yea I know there are left hand drive Gti-R's around europe that are not rally prepared. There was one online for sale for like $19,000 US. These are soooo rare, which is a shame. Ur one lucky guy to be in Italy and see 2 left hand drive GTi-R's. I should trace back my family roots about 100 years ago and see if any cousins over there can hook me up with a left hand drive R:D

·
-
3,560 Posts
Last year made: 1994.

There's a whole write-up (fresh alloy?) of the process of legalising a non-US car.

When a car comes to the dock via boat, it will get held up in customs, where all the accomodations need to be made (from what I gather).

I dont' think there is any "private" time with the car to do any VIN changing or the like. I do know that the minimum (not counting shipping) is about $6000. There is somekind of flat fee involved.

How feasible is it to attempt to classify it as a race car and enter in one or two races (for the sole sake of owning one). This would get around all the emissions and federal crap. I *wouldn't* have this as a street car, mind you.

Last time I was in Japan, they ranged from $4000-9000. Right hand driving sounds like a bigger problem than it is... you get used to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts