SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sunroof sticks all the freakin' time
!!!

How do I lube it or fix it (without changing it out, I've been down that freakin' road...)???

G

·
How exactly does it stick. If it's like mine and you have to pull on one side to get it to close then I may have a fix for you.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, it'll start to come back and then stick with the sunroof motor still whining and grunting. I'll usuall pull on it right in the middle to help it back and then I hafta help it go back forward.

·
Registered
858 Posts
my sunroof did the same on my 91 and I rubbed WD40 on the metal surounding the sunroof really hard to get the **** out and then I sprayed the rubber with silicon spray to moisten it up. you should pull back the ceiling cover by hand always before sliding back the sunroof so you don't strain the motor. WD40 all the moving parts too. Make sure you clean the channels were the little wheels run through real good. good luck!

[Edited by redman007 (09-26-2000 at 12:31 AM).]

G

·
Yeah, WD-40 or some grease can help out alot. In my case it wasn't enough. I had to remove the headliner and the whole sunroof assembly. There are two cables on each side of the sunroof that Push it open and Pull it closed. If one comes off then your sunroof might open just fine but will not close (like mine did). Once you take the sunroof assembly off and take the motor out you'll see the cables. Mine just required removing the cable and crimping it back on to the tracks which move the sunroof along. It is possible to fix it while the sunroof while it is still on the car but you'll probably have to be double jointed.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, I dont ever get any noise from the 'roof...

·
Registered
195 Posts
My sunroof has been sticking, too ... although it's only when I go to close it. It gets hung up halfway, at which point I have to pull the sunshield closed just enough so that the front of it meets the front of the sunroof. I have to inch both of them along this way this several times until the sunroof is completely closed. I'm about to replace the headliner, so I'll take advantage of the opportunity and clean out and lub the channels, and adjust the cables (if needed) as described above.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
447 Posts
my sunroof doesnt rattle but the track that it runs on does. the part that is just a little behind the drivers seat. when it starts to rattle, i push up on it and it will go away for 5 min. or so then rattle some more

·
Registered
698 Posts
my sunroof never used to rattle, until i got motor mounts.

and i too have problems opening and closing my sunroof, so i just dont use it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
removing headliner

does anyone know how to remove the headliner on a 93 se-r? i have to get to seal up around my sunroof cuase its leaking bad.

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts
SERious93 said:
does anyone know how to remove the headliner on a 93 se-r? i have to get to seal up around my sunroof cuase its leaking bad.
1. Remove rear-view mirror
2. Remove both visors
3. Remove all "oh ****" roof handles
4. Remove dome light
5. Remove weather stripping from door ports
6. Remove sunroof edge surround (grey)
7. Remove B/C pillar cover that surrounds rear quarter windows.
8. Remove the 4 button clips along the rear edge of headliner.
9. Recline both front seats to maximum and carefully manipulate headliner to remove from car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts