SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am looking at a vortec supercharger kit and it is so in my price range. I have priced junkyard turbo set ups, jdm engines, and doing some n/a stuff and it looks like that i prob could get more bang for my buck with one of these kits. Has anyone personal dealt with something like this? I just think i will have buyers remorse nomatter which way i go. So someone sound off which way should i go? (no matter what it still has to be my day driver/weekend track slut) SO ?????

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
I haven't seen but one other SE-R with a blower, and it's not even done yet, I don't think. So I think it's safe to say that it's not very common, to say the least.

Do what you think it going to benefit you, though. :)

·
Nissan Mut Car...
1,125 Posts
I have seen two... but turbo is DEF the way to go. Just way to many easy options to make it work with a turbo

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
I have seen two... but turbo is DEF the way to go. Just way to many easy options to make it work with a turbo
Yup. X 3.

Turbo the car. The DE came that way from the factory in about a million configurations.

Blaze a trail and spend huge money, time, and aggravation.

Or follow the clearly defined, and smart, path to big power.

·
Endless Turbo Preparation
952 Posts
I'm assuming you want a supercharger because you don't want turbo lag?

The little T25 spools pretty fast. You could even get a GT28RS which is a ball bearing turbo from Garrett that spools fast too. You don't need a supercharger to reduce turbo lag.

Plus, as others have said, a super charger on our cars requires a whole lot of time and custom fabrication. No one does it(except a handful).

-G

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen the vortech kits for the 200sx ser and they dont seem to complex. It looks like i would change spark plugs and fuel injectors. Everything else is just bolt up affar. The worst thing is the ecu but there are ways around that that are not so crazy. The whole kit cost like 1700 online(i know i will have to buy extra stuff)and a jdm engine runs between 1500 and 2000( then the extra parts i need plus). Even a junk yard turbo kit might cost me 1000 but then i have to get it tuned and rolls on a dino are like 100 bucks an hour. True the most effective way to make power is through a turbo but if you were only wanting to auto cross you could run turbo or super and as long as the tune was right it doesnt matter which you had. I am not trying to justify going super but if i do swap the engine out with its jdm cousin, i still have an extra engine just sitting there and that engine will be either n/a or supercharged. The whole thing makes my head spin.

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
I have seen the vortech kits for the 200sx ser and they dont seem to complex. It looks like i would change spark plugs and fuel injectors. Everything else is just bolt up affar. The worst thing is the ecu but there are ways around that that are not so crazy. The whole kit cost like 1700 online(i know i will have to buy extra stuff)and a jdm engine runs between 1500 and 2000( then the extra parts i need plus). Even a junk yard turbo kit might cost me 1000 but then i have to get it tuned and rolls on a dino are like 100 bucks an hour. True the most effective way to make power is through a turbo but if you were only wanting to auto cross you could run turbo or super and as long as the tune was right it doesnt matter which you had. I am not trying to justify going super but if i do swap the engine out with its jdm cousin, i still have an extra engine just sitting there and that engine will be either n/a or supercharged. The whole thing makes my head spin.

i have never seen this kit you speak of, and i personally dont care to look into it really:redface: .

However, id LOVE to sell you a jdm motor for 1500 or 2000, take a pick at either price:rofl: The thing about a junk yard "turbo kit" is that there will be like no chance of finding an sr20 kit out there..u just wont find it..now if youre talking about a different car that comes stock turbo...ur talking about a lost cause because chances are the turbo has shaft play or is seized, bad seals, etc. And the "kit" wont bolt up to the sr20 anyway, so youd need to get all the parts to begin with such as the manifold, j pipe, downpipe etc. Look in the classifieds and wait patiently for a t25 kit, as they usually sell for about 500$

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
um kits on the forum sell for <1k usually and your only short a couple of parts!

ive gone down the "trail blazer" route before with my toyota, ended up going 3s in the end anyway.

gt28rs GT28RS BALL BEARING TURBO, AKA "DISCO POTATO". THIS IS THE TURBO THAT MADE SUPERCHARGERS OBSOLETE! ON A 2.0 TO 2.5L ENGINE, THIS THING CAN BLOW ENOUGH AIR FOR 350HP AND STILL BE ALMOST LAG FREE!

GT28RS from JWT

enough said. come to your own decision. after all its your time and investment!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts