SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm someone told me it was a good idea to unload a bottle of carb cleaner in my intake manifold. Last night I did that when I was working on my clutch job. Anyways the carb cleaner made the inside of the intake manifold look spotless and shiny, but it left a murky puddle of Super-X covering the bottom of the manifold, about 5mm high.

Do I have to remove it or can I start the car like that and just burn it off like really really dirty gas :rolleyes: :confused:

thanks,
simon

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, i'll try to clean it up. i have time.

thanks
simon

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
Dude dont worry about it, start the car up and let 'er smoke. This was standard Throttlebody/intake manifold cleaning at our Toyota Dealership here in Milwaukee. We'd use one full can of Super-X in the car, usually spray it in the car and wait about 15 mins or so then fill the shop with smoke.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
97SE-R C2 said:
Oh ****. Don't start the car unless you want to blow the welds on your manifold. Soak it up with a Sock duct taped to the end of a stiff wire or something.
hmmm :rolleyes:

should i be lazy?

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
ResidentWarui said:
hmmm :rolleyes:

should i be lazy?
I was being sarcastic in that statement. But personally I'd try to soak some of it up. But, carb cleaner will evaporate faster than water so if your lazy just let it sit over night. By the sounds of it, Carb cleaner isn't as flammable as I thought so I just start it up I guess.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Started the car on the stands today...it was putting out white smoke for a long ass time so I ended up having to turn it off.... As soon as I can roll the car out of the garage I will let all of it burn.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
97SE-R C2 said:
The funny thing was his actual graph from that run. He jumped from 98whp at 2500RPMS to 170whp at 2900 rpms. If it held together he was on his way to a 250whp run.
ehehe, too bad it was a civic...

·
just workin'
1,345 Posts
start the car let it run, it will be rough for a min or so but it will burn out and not cause problems

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
totaled200ser said:
start the car let it run, it will be rough for a min or so but it will burn out and not cause problems
yep, that's what i did. it smoked for about 15 minutes actually, then it was fine. new clutch feels great! but my idle is so strong now (with ES motor mounts) it feels like I am stalling every time I stop :eek:

-simon :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts