SR20 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is nothing new to those of you who autocross, but for me this is spectacular. This Saturday and Sunday there is to be an autocross at nights stadium. Im thinking to try my luck but i must admit i am not so familiar with my car's balance or limits. So today i went in an old deserted parking lot to get familiar with this car of mine before saturday. I adjusted my AGX's to 5 in the rear and 2 in the front. Front Pressures were 42 with the rears at 35. WOW !! In the really tight parking lot my car was completely neutral. I could steer the car with the throttle but i have never gotten a front drive car to even chirp the rear wheels before! So i messed around doing "lane changes" and found i could provoke the rear to "dance". I have never had so much fun before.
The real story was the ride home. I decided to go out of my way so i could take an on-ramp. On this ramp i couldnt believe it .... the rear stepped out ... im thinking HELPPPPP OHHH JESUS IM GONNA DIE .. but the front drive is much easier to correct than a rear drive car. Ill never look at my car the same.. then again my tires will never look the same either.

P.S. To you autocross gurus... in the back of my mind i remember something about a rule that states tire treadwear must be better than 200 to compete... Im thinking of getting P7000 from tire rack cause they are cheap and i think they will have substantial grip but would these tires but me in a more difficult class? If it does, anybody have experience with the bridgestone RE950? Whate kind of grip do they make, how quiet, how long do they last etc. TIA

[This message has been edited by Black93 (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
SCCA Street Touring S has a treadwear minium: 140. That's the only sizable club that has a rule like that to my knowledge.

Unless you are running Street Touring S, any type of street tire will put you at a disadvantage to a better equipped competitor. Those who stick with autocrossing and become skilled switch to a race compound tire.

·
Registered
189 Posts
WOW, I got my rear end to step out for the first time the other day also. In my area it is all backroads and I love driving them...I get in hardcore mode sometimes where I practice a little heel/toe...well on my road which is about 2 miles of lovly winding road, there is this one very arched 80 degree tunn where i usually downshift to 2nd and I have tried to "powerslide" through it many times usually with slight understeer, but this time I whipped the wheel really hard and then hit the gas and somehow the rear stepped out!!!

I was like wait...this is front wheel drive

Well my sportlines should go on soon. Hopefully getting coilovers with-in 6 months though...

SE-R's kick ASS

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey are any of you guys from the NC/SC??
if so we should meet up in Rockingham next weekend. Is the Knights stadium the one in Charlotte??? I was Going to go to that but i have had the flu all this week and din't feel up to the drive. I will be up at rockingham next week, so if you want to meet up just let know..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts