SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
-
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a 2001 or up Supercharged Frontier to tow a vehicle?

Is it capable to do this regularly?

And if so, can you give me some impressions?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I use a 2000 deasert runner all the time. It does ok it's not the fastest thing on the road with a SE-R in tow but it's alright. I think one with a blower would be better. Gas milage is gonna suck. I want a new Dodge turbo deisel :)

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
iirc the frontier has a towing capacity capable of towing a 3000-3500lb car...so I'd say so :)

your mileage will be crappy though hahahha

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
The supercharged motor actually has a lower towing capacity if I remember correctly. It's only a hundred pounds I think though. chimmike is right about the towing capacity, but check your manual for sure.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
The Frontier S/C auto can tow more than the manual: 5,000lbs vs. 3,500lbs. A basic four-wheels-up open car hauler is going to be 1,500-2,000lbs or more by itself. Add a car and your stuff, and the Fronty will be huffing.

I haven't driven a S/C myself, but it seems competent enough if your towing doesn't fall under the category of "regularly." The N/A 3.3 auto I drove wasn't bad, but a bit of a slug moving its own weight around. Not sure how much better it would be with the blower. (The VQ40-powered '05 is sweet, though.)

I'm with James: Dodge turbo-diesel. I'll be poor for quite a while and diesels are expensive, so I might be looking at '87-'92 Cummins Rams someday. Maybe an old beater domestic diesel, Louis?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
You can find dual-axle trailers in the 1,200-1,300 pound range. Which would put it (with a B13) at 4,000 lbs give or take a few pounds. Just FYI.

Louis, one word for you: 2000-up Ford SVT Lightning. :D

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
Greg: Cummins 600 :D
exhaust, modify stock programming, BAM, 13 second diesel :D

plus, diesel, while expensive, gets better mpg than gas counterparts :D

but, use whatcha got, if you can!

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
Very true.

Another FYI: U-Haul car trailers weigh more than a B13.

I assume you mean the full trailers not the tow dolly?

·
-
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input, dudes.

OK, let me clarify some things...I was at work in the middle of deadlines, but I needed to mark the question off of my to-do list...:)

1. "Regularly" means *maybe* autocross events (probably just drive there), SE-R conventions (duh), and I'm thinking a few HPDEs in the SE region (200-300 miles).

2. Domestics are out. I've ridden in quite a few, and I'm sure they can handle the towing without breaking a sweat. But the ergonomics, plastic quality, and overall interior appearance of most all domestics is not really what meshes with me. Sorry, Greg. :) Gotta love the Lightning, though.

3. This will be my new daily driver. That entails a few things:
a. Looks "sporty" and fun.
b. Can be modified in a ricey kind of way (push bars, pseudo-rally equipment). I have always like the modified import 4X4 look.
c. The SC pulley can be replaced for a little more boost. I like that.
d. My fiancee needs to like it. And she does like the Frontiers a lot.

So one major question:
Can I use a tow-dolly instead of a double axle trailer? I haven't been factoring in the weight of the trailer, yet, but the trailer seems to be weight-prohibitive.

Also, FYI, can you believe the Dodge Magnum *with* the big Hemi has a tow capacity of only like 2000 lbs.? I was going to consider the Magnum until I read that.

Finally, bizz, surely you're not towing a B13 with your B13. I've done that, but only in emergency situations with a lot of rope. Very redneck, indeed.

Aside from Greg (we all know what he used), what does everyone here use to tow their SE-R?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
llaprad1 said:
Thanks for the input, dudes.

But the ergonomics, plastic quality, and overall interior appearance of most all domestics is not really what meshes with me. Sorry, Greg. :) Gotta love the Lightning, though.
Artist-types. What can you do?

Just kidding you, Louis. Get what you want and enjoy it.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
what about a Toyota T-100 used.. there are few here in the ATL that tow their cars with Toyotas..

but i'm with you on the ergonomics.. i used to drive a Dodge Ram for work at my old job.. my sales vehicle... hated the interior...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I used my friends 03 dodge turbo 3/4 ton and ya had to keep lookin in the mirror to make sure the car was still there. And it get's 20-22 mpg. On a good day the frontier gets 16-17 :(

·
-
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd love a work truck, but I can't imagine pulling up into a record label for a meeting in a big duallie. :)

Unless it were one of the country labels.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
I looked into several trucks before I bought mine. IMHO, the interior in the Frontier is in no way nicer than a turbo diesel Dodge, or Ford. Not to mention interior space, towing capacity, etc. But to each's own I guess. If I had it to do over again I would NOT have gotten a smaller truck. Fullsize's are where it's at :biggthump

·
Banned
332 Posts
ok first DODGE(drips oil,drops grease everywhere) those things absolutely suck and the new ones are just plane 'ol ugly-i have a S/C frontier and i have now problems with it, boils the tires off and the blower makes crazy niose-seriously loud-the K&N intake and gibson cat back makes it alot nicer too-im gonna instal my pullie from auto techniques this week and see how much of a difference it makes and my ecu redone by superchips

i towed a honda on a full deck landscape trailer and it was like it wasn't even there-also i towed 3 comercial machines(Xmark zero turn)a few times with it and haven't had any problems-the one thing is that the charger builds boost quite alot of the time

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
sorry but the new dodges don't suck. If you never owned a new one, don't talk. My old man has had a 2003 Hemi ram quad cab since he bought it new. He tows a 4000lb enclosed landscape trailer daily, and an 8000lb camper at least once a month, it does both with prowess. 345hp 375tq with a broad flat powerband. The interior is spacious and quiet, and even the base stereo with cd player sounds crisp and clear, backseat room a plenty.....and hasn't had one problem with it.

so about dodge sucking..........no. Besides the fact that you can get a truck just like his for 26-28k brand new. Thousands less than a comparable ford or chevy, and with more power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts