SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever hear of someone supercharging their SR20DE? In a front-drive application?

Just curious.

------------------
1994 SE-R Super Black
POP Charger, STB, 15" rolling stock, more to come...

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stine:
Anybody ever hear of someone supercharging their SR20DE? In a front-drive application?

Just curious.

</font>
Even though hundreds of people have asked that question over the years, nobody has ever tried it.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
756 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:
Even though hundreds of people have asked that question over the years, nobody has ever tried it.

</font>
Actually, the new SE-R could have been a supercharged SR20DE. The engineers down at their R&D facilities south of Phoenix, Arizona said they had one in use. But for some reason Nissan scrapped it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hmmm... You might want to look in the main list archives. It has come up a couple of times over the years. IIRC, there was a problem with the bottom end and engines blowing up.

... I just searched (supercharge kojima) and the argument was that turbos will produce more HP than superchargers. I didn't look through everything, but I could swear there were other issues with supercharging an SR20.

Ben
'93 NX

·
egg-less
348 Posts
I find it kind of hard to believe that with as much turbocharged boost as some people are running on stock internals, that a supercharged SR20 would have a problem with the bottom end, especially the bottom end.

Not fussin' at ya, just wondering, I guess, why there hasn't been more interest in a supercharged SR20. I have been curious about it for years.

If they can build one for a Solara...

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
One thing to consider when supercharging a SR20 is this: The crank pulley is on one end of the engine, and the throttle body is on the other end.
Our TBs actually point 'backwards' to the rear of the engine, but because it's transverse-mounted, well, you know.

Kinda' like having your carburetor where the tranny is on a Camaro, if you can picture that.

IMHO, and IIRC...putting a supercharger on a SR20 would take a big, long, connecting-type rod that would would be belt-driven above the crank pulley side on one side (passenger) of the engine, and criss-cross over to the other side of the engine, where the throttle body is (and where the compressor/supercharger would reside.

Just my $.02 after taxes.

G

·
0 Posts
Firstly i would like to for everyone to take a look at the Eaton supercharger, something like the model 62 would be good for the Sr20 Application, with the J&S Safeguards and the Correct ignition like an MSD you can have individual boost retards on every cylinder, the only thing that would be a concern is how to control the fuel correctly. I understand that JWT would be a good place to start, it would be interesting to see what they think, also maybe getting the Cylinderhead and/or the longblook from a SR20DET might be not be the best idea, consider that the engine is setup for a turbocharging induction. The best thing you have about the supercharger setup is you can run great compression ratio's with lowered to moderate boost levels and achieve great results. If i have the time, and i'm seriously considering it, i am going to try to build a Supercharing system for the Sr20, i would have to get in touch with more people much like JR and Endyn but i am willing to put the time into it, justl ike i said engine management seems and issue at the momment

·
Registered
756 Posts
Dont bother with either JR. Jackson Racing is just a name. Go straight to Moss Motors. Even then, who would buy it when you can turbocharge your car for less?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
WhiteSER:

Yes, I have seen a JRSC on an Si before.

I just think that our engines aren't all that open to supercharging -NOT because of the internals of our engines- but because of the design/layout of an SR20. Especially a high-port version, with the TB tucked way down low. There just isn't a whole lot of room to physically place a supercharger, PLUS run the long pulley-rod thingy (like the JRSC on the Si has).

Plus, as somebody said earlier.....why supercharge when you can get a complete factory DET for way less than the cost of a supercharger?

·
Registered
400 Posts
i know a guy with a green civic with a supercharger, not an SI... if a civic ex, dx, hx, lx whatever can get a SC, seems that a SE-R could, makes not sense.

------------------
Kenneth

1996 RED 200sx SE-R w/dynomax Superturbo Exhaust

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by borguesian:
Damn that is a CLEAN engine bay...

</font>
Then you ain't seen Brian Changs SR20 motor. "phew"

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I don't think the JRSC has a long stick. I think you guys are thinking of the Vortech SC.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, BIG BAD JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift) I need the 2.2L stroker kit ;-)

·
Registered
708 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERprise In WV:
WhiteSER:
Plus, as somebody said earlier.....why supercharge when you can get a complete factory DET for way less than the cost of a supercharger?
</font>
It's really not about how much horsepower but how it comes on. A supercharge may be a better application for autocross and road racing due to the lack of turbo lag.

·
Registered
756 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stine:
I think a supercharger, ideally integrated with the intake manifold, and probably driven via a rod across the front of the block (ala the Vortech unit), at maybe 6-8 lbs of boost, would give significant horsepower gains without sacrificing driveability or reliability. </font>
The whole point of integrating the blower with the intake manifold is so you can use the crankshaft pulley to spin the blower. The rod that Vortech uses is because of the centrifugal supercharger they use. Their charger is more like a turbo, with lag.

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're right - I tend to get them mixed up.

Somebody with the know-how could probably integrate the SC with the intake manifold, with the drive pulley on the same side of the motor as the crank pulley. I guess it would just be a matter of getting everything to line up, and making sure the fuel management was up to the task.

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My thinking was this - with a supercharger (or a turbo, for that matter), you are essentially fooling the engine into thinking it's bigger than it really is, all the time (not like a turbo). I forget which type of SC is which, but whichever one runs constant boost (Eaton?) would give you added power throughout the rev range, with essentially the same power and torque peaks, with the same driveability and smoothness that the sr20 engine is noted for. Plus, you'd still get to take advantage of other mods like headers, useless with a turbo, and cams, which from what I've read on this board and elsewhere depending on the grind don't do much for turbo applications.

I think a supercharger, ideally integrated with the intake manifold, and probably driven via a rod across the front of the block (ala the Vortech unit), at maybe 6-8 lbs of boost, would give significant horsepower gains without sacrificing driveability or reliability. Lack of turbo lag, for me, is a real plus; I don't drag, but I really enjoy the twisties
and have long been interested in autocross and want to try it out when I can get together the money and the intestinal fortitude...

As far as integrating the SC with the intake manifold, this might be more feasible for the 93-94 and up engines with the plenum higher in the engine bay. I wonder if Bog Boost and his custom intake manifolds is watching this thread?

Unfortunately I am currently without income (thanking my lucky stars that my wife has a job and we're not in any trouble) and am not able to pursue this idea. I'm sort of testing the waters; any takers? 2002G20Sport?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts