SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have ST swaybars, Tokico Struts, and Eibach springs but I would like to raise the car back to it's original height and get get some stuts that aren't so firm while still keeping the sway bars I have.

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
450 Posts
Tokico Struts on stock springs ride really well.BTW I think you'll have to remove a shim from your front swaybar if you do. But I'm not certain of this. (And you probably thought of this already)

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just getting tired of the harsh ride. As much as I love the handling I'm ready to sacrifice it just to get a smoother ride. I have no idea how long the struts have been on the car since they were already on the car when I bought it ... so they may be worn, although the car doesn't rebound when I push down on the corners.

Horus - Actually I haven't thought of it, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I went from eibach/tokico's to stock springs over AGX's on my car, and the ride and handling improved tremendously. I would NOT consider it a downgrade at all. I also have the ST swaybars front and back. A pretty nice suspension setup IMO. I am going to put GCs on in about a week though

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Ziegler, why the "downgrade"? Are you hitting the bumpstops?

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

G

·
0 Posts
What would be ideal is if a company made springs that were around 40% stiffer than stock at the stock ride height. That would probably be best, but the only way to do with is to get adjustable CG Springs.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm just getting tired of the harsh ride. </font>
You're hitting the bumpstops. I got an education this weekend on how important suspension travel is. I have GC coilovers (350 front/250 rear) with Cusco camber plates. Up until this weekend, I had it lowered slightly less thn 1 inch. I had zero suspension travel. I took a zip tie and put it around the shock piston. I then drove 1 mile down the street and back to my house. Jacked the car up and the zip tie had disappeared under the bumpstop. This is lowered 1 inch with springs that are ~twice as stiff as a typical lowering sport spring. I raised the ride hieght 1/2 inch and the difference is amazing. It is now pleasant to drive on the street. It now autocrosses so well, I finished with the 2nd fastest time yesterday!

My $.02. You need: shortened shocks from Motivational Eng., Truechoice, Shocktek, etc. Suspension travel is a very good thing.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm hitting something alright, and it's f*ckin loud as hell! I forgot to mention that the ride is also noisy too. I think that in itself brings the ride quality to my attention.

[This message has been edited by ziegler2000 (edited 06-18-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Someone should give Hypercoils a call and see if they will make some sport springs with like 225/200 spring rates that don't lower the car at all.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey guys,
I was considering putting my stock springs back on and getting the ST swaybars. I currently have pro-kits with AGXs, previously pro-kits with Tokicos. While the ride improved considerably with the AGXs, it's still not perfect. How happy have you guys been "downgrading" to the stock springs?
Let me know your impressions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Originally posted by Scarpa:
I went from eibach/tokico's to stock springs over AGX's on my car, and the ride and handling improved tremendously. I would NOT consider it a downgrade at all. I also have the ST swaybars front and back. A pretty nice suspension setup IMO. I am going to put GCs on in about a week though

Hey Scarpa,
I was just wondering how happy you were with the GC/AGX set-up. I currently have pro-kits with AGX'S and was considering going back to the stock springs with AGX's, and getting the ST bars. Let me know your impressions.
Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I haven't even ordered the GCs yet
The money is sitting in the bank but I haven't found a vendor I'm willing to give my money too. Also, I'm a lost more inclined to spend money on track time than car mods.

Anyway, the stock spring/AGX/ST setup is really really nice. The car is extremely well balanced and rotates well. There's a little more body roll than I would like but it's not too bad really, a lot less than stock that's for sure.

I'll update when I finally install the GCs.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anyway, the stock spring/AGX/ST setup is really really nice. The car is extremely well balanced and rotates well. There's a little more body roll than I would like but it's not too bad really, a lot less than stock that's for sure.

I'll update when I finally install the GCs.

Thanks for the response. I might try the stock springs with the STs too. The ride is tolerable now, but here in S.F. the roads are far from perfect, and I'm reminded of that fact often.
Alex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts