SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is the deal. My shocks are shot and I want a new setup.

I will go with either the Motivational Engineering setup with GC coil overs (dropped about 2 inches) or AGXs and GC coil overs(dropped about 1 inch).

Can someone provide a comprehensive list of all the misc. items (and prices if possible)that I will need to install along with each of the above options (i.e. bushings, camber plates, new bolts, sway bars, etc.)

The reason I am asking is that I can afford to spend 1300-1400 on the motivational setup but that is about as much as I want to spend so if it requires a lot of extras I will most likely end up going the other route.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
So, the options are:
$1300-1400 for Motivational coilovers, or

$450 for AGXs
$400 for GC coilovers
$350 for GC camber plates (get some of that travel back!)
$200 for sway bars
total = $1400

Does this help?

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your gonna need to buy rear shocks for the motivational setup. I have it and all it comes with is the rear plates. I would recommend AGX's for the back b/c you can somewhat tune it to the front.

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bwilsor:
Your gonna need to buy rear shocks for the motivational setup. I have it and all it comes with is the rear plates. I would recommend AGX's for the back b/c you can somewhat tune it to the front.

</font>
Bwilsor:

Motivational makes a complete package of 4 shortened struts for us driving B13s.

MadMatt:

That is kind of what I was thinking...but if it IS that simple than obviously go with the motivational setup. What about bushings and bumpstops and such...do I need to get new ones?

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
So, the options are:
$1300-1400 for Motivational coilovers, or

$450 for AGXs
$400 for GC coilovers
$350 for GC camber plates (get some of that travel back!)
$200 for sway bars
total = $1400

Does this help?

</font>
I forgot something..if I lower the car 2" with the motivational setup, do I then need camber plates?

That would increase the price by 350.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bwilsor:
huh, when i got everything thats all that was offered w/o getting the coil-overs. Looks like I just might get them.</font>

check out the motivational site again...it lists the 200sx as $1440, so I guess that means they are available for all for corners for B14s now.

since I have stock struts, it looks like the price is $1600, not $1440.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's okay people, I enjoy holding a conversation with myself
...I could also track down some high rate lowering springs (anybody remember the Valley Springs deal?) and go with that...it would save me about 400.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nx2kPA:

check out the motivational site again...it lists the 200sx as $1440, so I guess that means they are available for all for corners for B14s now.

since I have stock struts, it looks like the price is $1600, not $1440.

</font>

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Unless you're going to race seriously or dump the car, I'd get GCs and AGXs with the other goodies. The Motivational setup is nice, but doesn't get you swaybars or camber plates.

Actually, come to think of it if you're going to race I'd get the AGX/GC combo because those extra parts for the money will help.

This is assuming you are going to spend 1400 either way..

It's a close decision. The motivational setup is definitely the nicer option but gets you less for the money. Quality over quantity basically..

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I forgot something..if I lower the car 2" with the motivational setup, do I then need
camber plates?
</font>
I'm assuming you think you need camber plates so you won't eat up your tires with all that negative camber? Unless you have some increadible amount of camber (say, -3 degrees) you don't really *need* plates. Toe out/in will eat tires up quicker than 3 degrees of camber.

I run -2.5 degrees camber with my Cusco plates. I originally had ~1/8" total toe out as an autocross alignment. I ate through brandy new AVS intermediates in 4 (yes, four, 1,2,3,4) autocrosses, 1 ProSolo, and a ~1000 street miles. I had the toe set to 0 (with brandy new AVS intermediates again). 3 autocrosses, 1/2 of a track event, and ~1500 street miles later, my tires still look new.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just so everybody knows, there's a comany in N.J (can't remember the name, when i get home i'll look it up and repost) that sells the 4 AGX's for $389 shipped.

------------------
Jorge

'96 SE-R

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What about bushings and bumpstops and such...do I need to get new ones?
</font>
I use the stock ones and cut them the amount GC recommends.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">4 AGX's for $389 shipped</font>
That is a very good price. Is that for just 95+ or for the 91-94 SE-R as well?

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
909 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRios:
Just so everybody knows, there's a comany in N.J (can't remember the name, when i get home i'll look it up and repost) that sells the 4 AGX's for $389 shipped.

</font>
Yes it is www.p-s-t.com. This is where I got mine for my 200. They were quice friendly and saved me some dough.

MarC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts