SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else here ever run the GR2s instead of the AGX's. Whenever I hit a bump the rears make a pretty loud clunking noise. Sounds the like the mounting plate is hitting the strut tower. Im running the GC 300/200 setup as far as springs. Any ideas...also one thing I did notice..when I installed my GR2s..the rear nut in the center of the shock goes all the way down but for some reason the black rubber bushing that used to compress and sit right up against the nut doesn't anymore. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, that's probably your clunking noise. You can try a couple of things.

Get some Urethane washers and put them under the rubber thing to try and tighten things up.

Or, you can get some metal washers and put them under the nut inside the car. That should help tighten things up.

Good luck. Let me know how things turn out.

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The KYB GR2's are OEM replacement struts. The GR in GR2 does stand for gas replacement. =) You're correct, Antonio... They aren't valved to handle spring rates significantly higher than stock. They'll wear out prematurely due to the higher spring rate, and the constant bottoming-out, assuming the car is lowered more than 1-1.5".

Soopastank: What you can do is add some washers under the top nut. There isn't enough thread on the strut shaft to tighten down the nut causing the clunking noises. Put in at least 5 washers (enough for at least 3/4" thickness) and that should help.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (KYB GR2's, stock springs)
1998 200SX SE-R (dying KYB AGX's, GC 350/300 coilovers)

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I've had to do the washer thing on the AGXs as well.

As for noises, I found a bunch of noice was caused by the GC supplied bushing squeeking between the stock mounting plate and the GC aluminum top hat. Some grease took care of that.

Also, I've found that when I hit a good bump or completely unload the left rear tire (I have an extremely stiff chasis with a full cage) the spring falls away from the top hat and when it recompresses, the hat sometimes doesn't fit quite right. Usually once a week, I have to jack that end of the car up and make things fit right again.

So, add those washers, lube the bushings, and make sure the top hat is fitting correctly.

That should quiet things down.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys..I've got some bad news...I pulled my shocks out today to see what was going on...DAMN!!!! the top hat for my GC no longer have a circle opening at the top...more like a egg...and..my shock mount (black piece that has the two threaded studs pertruding out) also has a egg shaped opening instead of the round..and the worse thing of all..my shock shaft has a portion of it worn away. For some reason fawking shaft was rubbing against the GC top hat and the shock mount. Now I have to replace two rear shocks, two GC top hats, and two Factory shock mounts! Any ideas on why these shocks would do this?

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Can those GR2's even handle the spring rates that you have? I thought they were just replacement stock shocks.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
201 Posts
What do you mean by handle? They will work with the coilovers, but I'll bet the ride isn't as good and that they will wear out quicker.

Ben
'93 NX2K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts