SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my ground control coilovers on for awhile now but ever since ive had them the front of the car has made a really annoying squeaking sound..ive gotten a million different opinions but cant figure it out, the shop that installed them said it was the stock shocks but the ride seems perfectly fine..Which brings me to my question, when you lift your car up with say a jack or a lift are the coilovers supposed to move so freely up and down the strut?? theres ALOT of play on mine like probably three inches or so that it slides up and down really easy..i looked at my buddies integra and it doesent move nearly as much as mine..When i recently had new tires put on the guy there said that they actually might be the wrong springs!?? that cant be possible can it? this is really bothering me..and the sound isnt getting any better...any feedback would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
Brendan

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Yea, that space is normal. What you gotta do is get some ES grease and grease those puppies up good! I've had mine on for a while and I get zero noise out of mine. Also, did you install them using the O-rings or did you install them using the Racer Tape trick? That can also be part of the problem.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
448 Posts
GC's need care and feeding.

Every oil change when the car is jacked up I spray out all the crap with carb cleaner and air, wipe them down and then regrease the shaft and upper mount.

Quiet as a church mouse.

No maintenance, and they get noisy.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Its time for yet another installment of the ghetto-tape-mod

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
LOL, hey man, that **** works good!! I haven't had any probs. with it. Jay, didn't you do the same thing? LOL, but yea, it is sorta ghetto

------------------
David

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im almost positive that mine didnt come with o-rings..they would go on the top of the coilover to give kind of a cushion right? As for the ghetto tape mod, when i took it back to the shop that put them on, thats pretty much what the guy did..anyway, ill try cleaning it and greasing it..what exactly should i use to lubricate it?? and what spots? after that ill let you guys know how it sounds...thanks for all the feedback...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, when do i get the "wannabe" label taken off my username? i look at this board twice a day! =)

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
No, actually the o-rings (mine came with three for each coilover) go between the strut and the threaded collar to keep the collar centered on the strut. I threw mine away
and used duct tape (racer tape) and silicone sealant at both ends. Works great! You want to lube anything that rubs; the top of the spring, the top hat, the bearing, etc. If you can get your hands on some energy suspension grease (the stuff they use to lube their bushings) use it. It's awesome and it never comes off; just don't get it on your hands

------------------
David

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
If you can get your hands on some energy suspension grease (the stuff they use to lube their bushings) use it. It's awesome and it never comes off; just don't get it on your hands

</font>
You can order it from ES or from Courtesy Nissan(1800-527-1909)

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts