SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading the suspension to my 97 ser. I definetly going with the AGX's. Is it worth it for coil overs though? It's either coilovers or just lowering springs from a company called Tech 5, which is a progressive spring with a 1.8" drop. I've seen coilovers from Gin Racing and Ground Control. What do you guys think? Is it worth the extra cash for coilovers? I will probably just use my car for drags and normal street use. tia

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got the GC's on my '96 and I absolutely love them. My tuner told me not to get them 'cause he was worried about me only adjusting them once and leaving them. Has that happened? Hell no.
They allow you to experiment with weight distribution for dragging or road racing, set your ride height dependent on the season or road conditions and give you an infinite excuse to say "Gotta go test the car, honey."
I'd recommend them, but be honest with yourself as to why you want them. Are you really going to adjust them?
My only comment about progressives (IMHO) is that you don't get a constant ride/response experience when driving. GC's may be a bit bumpier on the road, but I don't think I sacrificed too much for the feedback I get from my suspension while in spirited turns. I've never taken a ride on progressives, but the idea of an ever-changing spring scares me when I'm cruising into a corner at 50.
Just a thought, welcome to any corrections it may spawn.
Best of luck on your setup,
ryan

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Wait! There's new springs coming on the market!

Right now Lew Shadoff is working out a group deal for $188 for some custom wound springs (read not coilovers) with 300f 200r spring rates and a 1.25" drop or so. Join the [email protected] list to find out more.

Also Hypercoils here in Kokomo, Indiana is going to produce some springs just like this very soon. My friend Ben Moses here in Lafayette, IN is going to be the test car for these springs for a B13 and I will be the test car for these springs on a B14. I'll keep you all updated what is going on with this development...

(Ben likes free springs! He does!
)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just priced KYB AGX today at my local aftermarket dealer and I was amazed at the price that he gave me. $150 each for the front and $119 each for the rear. Are these normal prices or are they raping me? I have a 97 200SER with 70K miles. My question is that is it really worth it to lower the car?? I'm interested in the Eibach (1.4" drop). Oh those are $229. Do you notice a ride difference with a lower car? I mean can that 1.4" make a difference and if so what kind? Anyone know where I can get the shocks and springs at a lower price? Oh and 1 more question, are there rubber mounts that that struts sit on? If so should I replace them just to say that I did that so I dont' have to rip it apart later to replace them. Thanks guys

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Those are BAAAAD prices. Call the number at www.p-s-t.com and see if they still have the deal for our cars for $~380 shipped for all 4. That's where I got mine. Even [ur]www.tirerack.com[/url] has them for cheaper than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts