SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aiight:

The Eibachs were a no-go; I am bereft of an impact wrench. What I have come up with is this - I want to buy a set of struts, and the plate at the top (Strut Mount? has the three bolts that attach the strut/spring assembly to the car at the top) and get the four assemblies ready to go on the car. I have found a shop that will complete the install from there (i.e. do the swap for me), then I can get it aligned. That way I will just have an all-new suspension hehheh.

My questions are these:

1. I am most interested in the KYB GR2 struts. They seem to have the highest bang-to-buck ratio. I need to know what the ride quality is like with them, compared to the stock setup. Anybody running Pro-Kits and GR2s, or whatver with GR2s? I cannot afford the AGXs or I'd get those.

2. Any other recommendations for struts? I would like a ride quality pretty close to stock; maybe just a little firmer. Keep in mind that I really can't go above about $50 per strut.

3. Are there any parts I am missing to get these assemblies ready? I have the springs, I need:
1. Struts
2. Strut mount (top plate)
3. Strut boots

Anything else? Anything else at all you can think of?

Anybody have those top plates in good shape to sell me cheap? Or know where I could get them cheap (Autozone/Pep Boys etc.)? KYB makes replacements but it would be $100 for the four of them.

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought of something else - is the GR2 a cartridge insert for the classic (like the Konis), or a complete strut? If it's an insert, I'm screwed and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA again...

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Go with stock springs.. and AGXs great bang for buck... if your thinking prokits, gr-2, and new strut mount plates than agx's are a bargain. www.p-s-t.com has agxs for 389 shipped. Add in boots thrust bearings and springs seats if you need them and your still under 450. This setup has proven invaluable to me. On settings 1 and 2 i have a good deal of body roll and my inside rear wheels lifts. 4 and 5 makes my car stick like glue, then adjust back to 1 and 2 for the ride home... and i still dont know what a bumbstop feels like he he he :D

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To those of you who read my posts on this subject -

Do you think that an electric impact wrench would get those bottom bolts off?

Next question: Will the impact tool fit in the wheel well, and if not is there a universal joint that is impact-rated?

Last question: If I break the bolts getting them off, is there a special replacement or will standard hardware store 17mm bolts do the trick?

TIA

·
Registered
312 Posts
An electric impact wrench should get these bolts off. It should fit in the wheel well but you may need to turn the wheel a little bit to get better access.

I never really worried about it to much. I just used a wrench on one side and a breaker bar with a cheater pipe on the other side. If you position the wrench right you can get the wrench to jam in place either against the rotor or the wheel well i can't remember which but it worked for me.

I haven't replaced the struts but i did have to take the knuckle out to do the bearings and that was how i did it. I don't have access to outdoor electricity let alone air tools.

hope that helps.
Rick

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm not sure about GR2's. I thought they were just OEM quality replacements and not a performance strut. If you get a strut that cannot adequately dampen the springs, then you've wasted your money. The strut will wear out prematurely and your car will ride like crap. Of course if you just want to look good then it doesn't matter. :)

An electric impact wrench should get those bolts off ok. I have a cheapy JC whitney air impact wrench rated at 220ft-lbs and it was no problem. Just juice them up real good with liquid wrench. You will also need an impact wrench to get the top nut off to replace the top mounts.

So.. If I were you I'd figure out if the GR2 struts will control the Pro-Kits and if so buy the electric wrench and a set or GR2's and you're set. If you find out the GR2's won't cut it then I would seriously recommend you save up for the AGXs.

Good luck,

·
Registered
325 Posts
I tried using an electric wrench on my install and sheared two bolts on my driver side and had to end up sawing them off, it was a real pain getting them out then I had to buy new ones from the dealer ($3.00 or something) so if your impact wrench doesn't have more than 150lb/ft of torque, u might end up being like me ;) I ended up loosening the rest of the bolts at my friend's shop and hand tightening them to get me back home. :) And I used a vise girp(on the damper) and a socket wrench to loosen the strut assembly. (not too hard if you got a friend to help.)
**make sure you use a spring compressor before you loosen the strut assembly.** its a free loaner at trak auto and pep boys so dont try to be a hero.

all the plastic stuff thats on the stock assembly goes on your new kybs and springs, unless if you wanna buy new components that is. I reused all the stuff(spring seats, thrust bearings, boot...) from my old system and everything is just perfect. :)
good luck,
Nick

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
You right I havent answered your question directly. If i remember correctly i believe you said earlier that you had a set of used eibachs. So ill start with struts.

1. The GR-2 are a full strut not cartridges like the koni's. They are not adjustable and unfortunately i have heard they are prone to leaking and also i have heard that kyb is a pain to deal with on warranties.

2. If you are still bent on GR-2s i recommend you buy them used so you wont lose too much money if you change your mind about them.

3. Im sure you can agree that the agx is better so keep an eye out for a set of used agx's if money is a real big factor.

You prob already know but ill say it anyways. A lowered se-r has little suspension travel and sport compact car found that they only had about a half inch or so till bumpstop. If your not so worried about handling and want the "lowered" look i recommend you find a honda. Because of the ruff ride from the bumpstops i recommend you consult you fanny before ignoring this. So to counteract this you will need a good strut to keep body roll in check to keep from eating up precious travel. Also be sure to trim the bumbstops, but no more than half. Keep these things in mind and you should do fine. As for the lower bolts... nissan says these are to be replaced every time the strut is dissassembled, you can get them at a dealership. In fact grassroots motorsports measured the width of these and used the tiny diffrences in diameter to squeak more negative camber.

If you have any questions about the install go to ... http://johnheer.homestead.com/files/autos/autos.html
this guy seems to know what he is talking about so good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts