SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spaceman Spiff
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hiyas ya'll. I've been searching til my eyes cross and I think i've finally found
the perfect suspension setup for my NX (for my budget). Lemme run it by ya'll
and see what you all think. I've still got some questions about my decisions and
am still open to suggestions. This car is mainly a daily driver but will be autox'd
as soon as I finish the suspension.

STRUTS: KYB AGX
why? because I already have them.
questions? nope. This is the only component I'm POSITIVE about.

SPRINGS: Ground Control #6060.03 (350/300 rates)
why? best bang for the buck. good reviews. and they aren't making
hypercos right now and I need them NOW. I like the height adj.
questions? does the 350/300 rate seem ok? where's the best place to buy
them? I've found them at JGYcustoms for 386.23. I'm also nervous
about all the "racket" the agx/gc setup makes but I've read the faq
on getting rid of the noises. Also, please clarify the "lip grinding". I'm
still a little fuzzy on that.

BUMP STOPS: Motivational engineering Koni urethane bump stops.
why? why not.
questions? will these work with the agx/gc setup? these go on all 4
corners, right?

SWAY BARS: front= sentra E bar. rear= progress group adjustable
why? best combo for more neutral FWD.
questions? is it REALLY the best combo? who's a good and inexpensive
supplier?

PILLOWBALL MOUNTS: Shigspeed.
why? increased suspension travel. great quality control.
questions? will they work with the agx/gc setup? these are only available
for the rear right?

CAMBER PLATES: Ground Control
why? will match the springs. positive feedback from most forum-members.
questions? not sure that I have any. I think this part is pretty self-
explanatory. does this increase front suspension travel?

MISCELLANEOUS: Energy suspension bushings.
why? because.
questions? will the Progress bar come with its own poly bushings?

I think thats it. Am I missing anything? Is there anything here that does NOT
work together? I appreciate any info. My current setup is AGX/Eibachs but the
rear Eibachs have collapsed and blown both rear struts. Thank goodness for
warranties. :) I'm looking forward to getting a decent suspension.

Thanks for the help,

nate
edit: I failed to mention that I already have both front and rear strut tower bars too. (f=a no name r=active tuning)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
the bumpstops are exactly what you need. Are you going with GC coilovers? The camber plates only work with the coilovers I believe. This is currently the ebst set up for the money on our cars. The bushings help, but ride quality goes to s___. The progress rear bar is excellent, I can't say enough good things about it. I believe that Toolapcfan on the forum can get it to you for $190.00 shipped. I didn't get mine from him, I caught a different sale, but I heard he's good.

*EDIT* I guess I should add that I'm very happy with the set up. I don't have Coilovers, but they're coming later. I think the rates are good for the AGXs too.

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
godofyourgod said:
STRUTS: KYB AGX
why? because I already have them.
questions? nope. This is the only component I'm POSITIVE about.
They're ok. Hitch a ride in a car with shortend Konis sometime, feels waaaay better. But I have AGXs too, they're cheap. :)

godofyourgod said:
SPRINGS: Ground Control #6060.03 (350/300 rates)
why? best bang for the buck. good reviews. and they aren't making
hypercos right now and I need them NOW. I like the height adj.
questions? does the 350/300 rate seem ok? where's the best place to buy
them? I've found them at JGYcustoms for 386.23. I'm also nervous
about all the "racket" the agx/gc setup makes but I've read the faq
on getting rid of the noises. Also, please clarify the "lip grinding". I'm
still a little fuzzy on that.
I run 300/350. If this is your daily driver get lower rates, this is stiff. 300/350 is great for a "fun" car.

godofyourgod said:
BUMP STOPS: Motivational engineering Koni urethane bump stops.
why? why not.
questions? will these work with the agx/gc setup? these go on all 4
corners, right?
They're fine I guess. I don't have much of an opinion on bumpstops.

godofyourgod said:
SWAY BARS: front= sentra E bar. rear= progress group adjustable
why? best combo for more neutral FWD.
questions? is it REALLY the best combo? who's a good and inexpensive
supplier?
I'd leave your stock bar alone at first. See how you like it with the stock bar and your new suspension. Progress bar is pimpy and relativley cheap, get it.

godofyourgod said:
PILLOWBALL MOUNTS: Shigspeed.
why? increased suspension travel. great quality control.
questions? will they work with the agx/gc setup? these are only available
for the rear right?
Yea, scott's plates are for the rear only. They work great. I like mine.

godofyourgod said:
CAMBER PLATES: Ground Control
why? will match the springs. positive feedback from most forum-members.
questions? not sure that I have any. I think this part is pretty self-
explanatory. does this increase front suspension travel?
Yes, they only work with the GCs, get them if you can. I like mine. They're nice little pieces. The damn nuts on top like to loosen up every once in a while, and you gotta keep an eye on the spherical bearing, but no biggie. If you ever need the bearing don't buy it from GC, you can get them straight from truechoice a lot quicker. I've got the p/n stashed away somewhere.

godofyourgod said:
MISCELLANEOUS: Energy suspension bushings.
why? because.
questions? will the Progress bar come with its own poly bushings?
ES bushings are good. Have fun isntalling them. A torch is your friend. :) (They're really not thaaaat bad, just a lot of work) With 300/350 you won't notice the difference in ride quality when you put the bushings in, trust me.

Think pimpier on the progress bar, it uses spherical endlinks.

godofyourgod said:
I think thats it. Am I missing anything?
Yea, drive the car and have fun. :)

What are you doing with the car? Mines just a toy and auto-x when I have a free weekend car. My suspension is almost identical to what you listed above. Its a blast to auto-x, and even somewhat fast when someone other than me drives the car. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That's almost the exact same setup on my NX, and it handles pretty damn well.

I'd love to swap the AGX's with shortened struts but I don't think it's worth the money as I'm competitive in my class as is.

I agree with Calum and hold onto your stock front swaybar at first, with a good amount of camber and a rear Progress bar you should get it to rotate fine.

It is not a comfy ride but it tears up the corners. Have fun!

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Maybe see if you can't get a set of Sprint coilovers off of eBay for $90 or less and scrap the springs and just use the threaded collars and perches, then buy a set of Eibach ERS in whatever rates you want for about $200, and you'll have the same thing as GC for less money. I have 300/200 spring rates and I have to have the AGX's set on 1 to make the ride tolerable for other people so if you're going to be doing mosly street driving I'd definately go softer rates. Since GC gives you different tophats for the fronts with the camber kit, GC's camber kit will work with any spring that's the same diameter as the Eibach ERS. If you decide to just buy the GC coilovers I'll sell them to you for a lot less than $386 shipped that's for sure. As far as bumpstops you can use ES ones, they're only $30 instead of $60 like the koni's are. Yes, the progress rear bar is $190 shipped through me, I wouldn't spend any money on the front bar until you've had some time to feel the car out without changing it. I did both because I give myself a nice discount and because I'm obsessive about those things but it was probably a waste of money. Yes the progress bars come with poly bushings which is good because the ES ones won't fit them. You've got pretty much the same setup as me except you've got the shigspeed rear mounts which I'll end up getting eventually I suppose. Later on you could look into strut tower braces and see if those might be of interest.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Calum said:
Hitch a ride in a car with shortend Konis sometime, feels waaaay better. But I have AGXs too, they're cheap.
Amen, Calum. He drove my SE-R right after I installed the shortened Konis up front, and I think this is what you're referring to, right, Calum? If you can get some shortened struts later on...it's worth saving up for.

·
Spaceman Spiff
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the tips everyone!

I've decided to go with 300/250 spring rates on the GC's. So far the least expensive that I have found them is 357.50 from Ultrarev.com and the Progress rear bar for 184.36 (plus s&h i'm sure.)

I am unable to find the camber plates anywhere online.

Toolapcfan, could you PM me a price quote on the GC setup in 300/250 and the camber plates if you can get them? I'm ready to buy now. Scott doesn't currently have any of the rear pillowball mounts in stock so I'll have to wait until he does another production run. Anyone got a set for sale? I'm also unclear on the "spring height" of the GC's. Do I have to specify a height when ordering? I'll trust your better judgement. Also can you get me the ES bumpstops? Are they "progressive" like the Konis?

thanks again,
nate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts