SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In prepparing our team Sentra to go from a spec series car to a full touring car (to CASC-OR TGTC specs) we want to be swapping engines in the car. It currently has a stock, sealed QG18DE in as per the specs of last years series. We are looking at swapping in an SR20DE, due to the weight calculations for the series this engine makes the most sense. My question is, aside from the obvious, what parts are needed? Eg. Do we need different steering knuckles? What else might have to be swapped or what parts interchange?
We also plan on swapping the rear beam out, we have a spare SE-R rear beam in the shop and we should have no problem getting this in and converting to rear disc. How about the front? We put Stoptechs on the last Touring car we built, but it was a SpecV with already existing SE-R parts and we used a Sunbelt Racing Engines built QR25. But with doing a swap to a 2.0L is there any difference in the parts the brakes attach to? I suppose we could just disassemble my SE and look, but I'm not exactly in favour of that :D
We are thinking of using the Brembo kit from the 2004 SE-R as a low cost alternative to Stoptechs. The car will be able to be fairly light due to the use of the 2.0L (if we use the QG18 or the QR25, we take a weight penalty because they both use a version of variable valve timing. The 2.0L would only have to weight 2068# race weight, but the QR18 would have to be 2370# and the QR25 2524#) so I think the Brembos should be sufficient for now. Oh and overboring the cylinders 1mm is a freebie :D
Any answers or suggestions would be a huge help.
Thanks

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
I know for B13 and B14 sentras, all models use the same steering knuckles. I really don't see any reason that there would be a specific SER steering knuckle, it would make no sense in any way, but i have no experience so i cant say 100%.

For the B13 and B14 swaps, you need to change over the engine, tranny, axles, MAF sensor, engine wiring harness, ECU and the passenger side motor mount. I assume this list would be fundamentally the same for swapping the QG18 out for an SR20.

It's funny how the rules favour the SR20 weight wise, even though it has the ability to rev 1500RPM higher and make similar horsepower numbers to the QR25 when fully built. I wonder if the engine has to be of the roller rocker variety, as that it what came in the B15s stock. If it can be any SR20, I have a highport core motor for you for a cheap price ;)

Lastly, is there an online rulebook for the series? I am considering building an NX2000 racecar to race regionally and am having a hard time locating the proper rulebook.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most can be found here, incuding the TGTC weight calculator.
http://www.casc.on.ca/bulletins.php
When you plug in the numbers into the calculator, you'll see the column for VTC type engines, since both the 1.8 and 2.5 have a version of this, the SR20 is the weigh (pun intended) to go. And you know what 1mm overbore means :D
I'm not sure if the guys who wrote the rules would know the difference between an older SR20 and a RR SR20. If not, hehehe, thats the route. But even if we build a halfways decent RR 2.0L, with a base weight of 2068# (if we can get it that low, we already have the plasma cutter out, and some major material has been removed) we don't have to build a killer engine. We want to put a really good (but affordable, no Motons) suspension on it first, brakes, and lighten it up for this year. Once we get that sorted, we'll start the engine program. Since we have two series built cars, one bare chassis, and one wrecked series car, we have lots of parts to play with.
Are you looking at racing regionally next year? If so we might end up on the track together. I'm looking at trying to scare up some sponsorship to run our second car next year, maybe just in GT-D, but hopefully move up to Touring after that.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
haha, I wish next year. All I've got now is a NX1600 hardtop and a NX2000 parts car. I don't know for sure exactly what can be done, but I assume it will cost 20K or so to build, so I'm thinking more along the lines of the 2006 season.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol...oh, well, if I don't get a sponsor, it might be longer for me...hehe...but I already got a price for renting our second car (its a hell of a deal :D ) so I'm going to try to make a go of it. Its great having another car just lying around...and if we build the third car...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts