SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Need Money
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do these do? And whats the difference between them and Anti-roll bars? I hear about both but I'm still confused :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
mal_tiempo said:
What do these do? And whats the difference between them and Anti-roll bars? I hear about both but I'm still confused :confused:
As far as I know the terms sway bar and anti-roll bar are interchangable. They reduce body roll durring cornering. In essence they basically put a little dependence in the independent front and rear suspension.
Picture this, you are stepping on one side of a sway bar and a friend twists the other. You will feel your end twist a little too. This twisting motion basically ties the left and right suspension together. So when there is more suspension compression on one side a force(from the twist of the bar) is created that compresses the other side helping to reduce bodyroll and promote a stable line through a corner.

·
Captain Slow
149 Posts
R0b_ said:
a semi-hijack here, but if you had the whiteline control brace, is this the same as a beefy front sway?
Not quite. Control arm braces and underchassis braces (like the whiteline control brace, the Nismo tie brace, the Shigspeed control arm brace, etc) tie the control arm joints to eachother. Anti-sway bars tie the bottom of the dampers together. They won't have the same effect as an anti-sway bar because the primary function of the control arm joints is not to move up and down (like dampers). Instead, it will stiffen the front end of your car, which will allow the suspension system to work a whole lot better.

From a practical point of view:
You can't go too stiff/large with an underchassis brace, but it is very easy to go too stiff/large with an anti-sway bar.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,637 Posts
anti-roll bar = anti-sway bar = sway bar.

It is a (1) weight-transfer device and (2) anti-roll device.

(1) Faster weight transfer during transient conditions improves steering feel and quickens the maneuver.

(2) It resists the differential movement of the control arms so that cornering attitude is flatter. Not flat, just flatter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.