SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was thinking about switching my paint color to midnight blue. I was wondering how much is involved..my current color is white..i also was thinking about peral white. Do i have to remove everything on/in the car to make it right?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Well, that all depends on how thourough you want it to be. If you want it done right, it will be a real bitch, as you need to paint in the door jambs, under the hood, in the trunk, etc. Howevever you can save alot of trouble but just painting the exterior.

Also, it will be easy if you stay with a white color, as you won't be able to notice the change inside.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
424 Posts
In order to do a complete color change you'll end up spending around $3000-$5000, especially if you go with the pearl. The only problem with pearl is when mixed with white it changes the look to a light brown almost.

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bwilsor:
In order to do a complete color change you'll end up spending around $3000-$5000, especially if you go with the pearl. The only problem with pearl is when mixed with white it changes the look to a light brown almost.

</font>
Is lexus white brite and shiny..i happend to see a explorer today that appeared to be "ford White" and it did look nice, dispite my hate for domestics

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies
http://www.geocities.com/averex2k/dennis/dennis.htm
Or Vist the Biggest Collection os SE-R's on the WEB: if you want you pic added, email me :)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1757993&a=13556536&f=0&sp=1&showall=true

·
Registered
883 Posts
white it changes the look to a light brown almost.

</font>
Hey now, I have a pearl/platinum white car. And It still looks good
Allthough, I still dont know whether it is called pearl white, or platinum white

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
883 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by xTurbo Classicx:
o ok just wonderin</font>
->->->->->
<-<-<-<-<

[This message has been edited by kbslacker (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
404 Posts
They don't mix the white with the pearl, the pearl is sprayed after you lay the base color, then they shoot the pearl over that, and last is the clear coat. You can go with all kinds of pearls from blue to green to red..I have a baby blue/silver with orange pearl on my car..

The only problem with pearl is when mixed with white it changes the look to a light brown almost.

[/B]</font>

------------------
92'XE/w-Primera swap
sleepr w/N20

·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one of my friends has a pearl eclipse its in member rides in Super Street aug issue, and its not a deep pearl you cant really tell it pearl blue..i think im going to go white though i just dont want a white that is blarry shiny thats why i wanted a little pearl in it

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies
http://www.geocities.com/averex2k/dennis/dennis.htm
Or Vist the Biggest Collection os SE-R's on the WEB: if you want you pic added, email me :)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1757993&a=13556536&f=0&sp=1&showall=true

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
To add on to what Storm was saying, if you have a drastic color change you might need to go as far as having some of the trim and glass pulled to make sure that there is a good application with the new basecoat...

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
The Ford white that you mentioned Dennis is " Performance white". I used it on my 64 Ford Galaxie. I also used in on my GTS Stripes on my 94 Probe. Paint shop said it is about the brightest white they had. If you want to change the color to something totally diffrent you will need a gallon of paint and a pint. The door Jams,trunk and under the hood will eat up a gallon and therefore the pint comes in.

Darren

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Its311Pete:
The Ford white that you mentioned Dennis is " Performance white". I used it on my 64 Ford Galaxie. I also used in on my GTS Stripes on my 94 Probe. Paint shop said it is about the brightest white they had. If you want to change the color to something totally diffrent you will need a gallon of paint and a pint. The door Jams,trunk and under the hood will eat up a gallon and therefore the pint comes in.

Darren

</font>
Is it too bright? or is it just like a pretty white?

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Well to be honest with you I think a really bright white is better than a mid bright white. I guess personal pref. comes in here, but I think it is a the diffrence of day and nite between our factory 91white.
I believe you would be pretty happy with it.

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

1 - 18 of 18 Posts