SR20 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with the t3/t4 the downpipe melted my sr20 a/c line. I was told the 1.6 line brings it in a different way. It does but the problem I am running into is the a/c hard line is hitting the alternator and wont line up correctly. I even tried spacing the a/c compressor out a little from the block which helps alittle but still makes it to were I will need a new belt and then it will only have about 1" of adjustment from being maxed out. Has anyone else run into this while swapping the a/c line? This is a b14 btw. Do I need the 1.6l alternator or something? If it doesn't hit the alt. it would be absolutely perfect. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
John

·
Registered
267 Posts
You do not need to space the A/C compressor out at all. It is, no doubt, a close fit between the alternator and the aluminum portion of the low pressure line. You will need to adjust the alternator up quite a bit and use a 415K6 belt. FYI, this belt will be a bit hard to get on. Here's the trick: put the belt onto the crank pulley and the alternator pulley completely. Then, slip the belt onto the A/C compressor pulley as much as possible. While holding the belt onto the A/C pulley, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the belt gets pulled onto the A/C pulley. This is very similar to the process of installing a bicycle chain onto the sprockets when you were a kid.

If the belt squeaks with the adjustment as tight as it will go, you may need to enlarge/elongate the adjustment slot in the upper alternator bracket slightly. This will allow the alternator to move toward the block another 1/4" or so.

Good luck,

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
v8killer2001 said:
You do not need to space the A/C compressor out at all. It is, no doubt, a close fit between the alternator and the aluminum portion of the low pressure line. You will need to adjust the alternator up quite a bit and use a 415K6 belt. FYI, this belt will be a bit hard to get on. Here's the trick: put the belt onto the crank pulley and the alternator pulley completely. Then, slip the belt onto the A/C compressor pulley as much as possible. While holding the belt onto the A/C pulley, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the belt gets pulled onto the A/C pulley. This is very similar to the process of installing a bicycle chain onto the sprockets when you were a kid.

If the belt squeaks with the adjustment as tight as it will go, you may need to enlarge/elongate the adjustment slot in the upper alternator bracket slightly. This will allow the alternator to move toward the block another 1/4" or so.
Good luck,
Thanks alot Jay. i was hoping you would chime in as i believe you did this on Kevin's car. i appreciate it.
John

·
Beware....THE BEAR!!
1,730 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I am putting an avenir w10 setup on my 98 SE, and I want to keep the a/c. I believe this will work for me, the new belt and 1.6l a/c line, the stock line is in the way of the manifold. Anyways, I'm confused about what you have to do with the alternator. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. And remember when posting that I want to keep the a/c. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts