SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
T25 internal upgrade questions - different question!

I know there is plenty of information regarding the T25 to T28 upgrade, but I didn't find any info regarding this particular situation. I have my turbo in to be rebuilt, and the they suggested I do the following (excuse my lingo if it's a bit off, I spoke w/ them yesterday when I had a raging fever and I don't remember too much) : Use a T28 Super 30-1 wheel and a 360* bearing. They said that the Super 30 wheel is the biggest that Turbonetics makes for the T28, but it would also require you to use the 360* bearing. I don't know much about turbos, so I want to make sure that I'm not just throwing money away. Is this worthwhile? I know the T25 is Garrett and the wheel is Turbonetics, but they said it would work. If anyone has any insight on this whatsoever please chime in. If this doesn't make any sense, because I am still sick, let me know and I'll try to break it down.

Also, this upgrade will cost about $300 above the normal cost of a rebuild, so I'm looking at around $500-550 or so. More will go into it than just the wheel and bearing, but whatever. Advice?

Patrick

·
Registered
434 Posts
free bump, because I am interested in this also. This would make a nice upgrade before I can actually afford another turbo such as the Disco Potato or HKS3037.

·
Enjoy the GTR Matt!
3,716 Posts
I bought a T25 rebuilt with T28 internals, and I believe someone else was asking about this just a week ago (search).

Mine came from serawkus I think, he can attest to the strength of the turbo and it's properties. I have not installed it yet.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I know how well the T25/T28 hybrid performs, but I want to know how well this super 30 wheel will perform and if it's really necessary for me to spend the money on a 360* bearing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

I know I've only waited 3 hours, but I really need the turbo back for the track this weekend and I want to know if I'm spending $ wisely. In the meantime I'll go hunt down some compressor maps. I just don't know if that 360* bearing is really necessary.

Thanks in advance. :)

·
All go, all show
504 Posts
Well someone correct me if im wrong, but I believe the that the stock t25 comes with a 270*thrust bearing and a brass journal bearing which only has 3 oil passages, when upgrading to the 360*, your getting a beefier thrust bearing, and the washer will have 6 oil passages for better flow, response and cooling, it just sounds like your pretty much upgrading to a ball- bearing turbo, but thats just my $.02.

·
Registered
434 Posts
sniper- i believe you are correct on all of that information. I have read a few articles lately about 360* bearings having six oil passages etc.

pdr- search on se-r.net because there are links in the sentra section to the Turbo mag sentra project car. They did a turbo upgrade similar to what you are talking about. Decent read. Personally if you are already getting the rebuild, and you don't plan on getting a new turbo anytime soon, then I would do this T25 upgrade.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jlpearl said:
pdr- search on se-r.net because there are links in the sentra section to the Turbo mag sentra project car. They did a turbo upgrade similar to what you are talking about. Decent read. Personally if you are already getting the rebuild, and you don't plan on getting a new turbo anytime soon, then I would do this T25 upgrade.
Thanks .. I'll go read up on it. :) I don't plan on doing anything more anytime soon. I will post a review on it, though.

If anyone cares, I'm having it done at http://dallasturbo.com (Majestic Turbo). They were recommended to me by Courtesy Nissan and a couple other local shops (one being Steve Kan). I'm assuming they know what they're talking about, but I trust a lot of you guys' judgement.

·
Registered
532 Posts
How much are they charging for this? I am debating between getting some s3 or s4 cams or getting my t25 stuffed with t28 internals.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Around $500-550. Honestly, if your turbo is fine then I would do the cams. That way you can keep them when, well if, you upgrade your turbo to something larger. Besides people have seen impressive results w/ the S3s!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anyone cares I did get this turbo, although I was mistaken : It is a Super 60-1 wheel.

Anyway went to the track w/ it (see drag racing forum), and before we went out I had the boost controller set at 1 bar, and the turbo held it nicely. Unfortunately the car was beyond uncontrollable so I put it down to 11-12psi, but it kept spiking to 13psi. It's pretty wicked. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts