SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
-John-
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what could cause my stock tachometer on my Classic to jump and then just drop and stay at zero(quit working). It will sometimes just sling back in forth psychotically and then it will just stop working, it drives me insane!...plus I'm scared to get on my car now :(

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Check your speedo cable. Sounds like it's come off or needs to be replaced.

·
-John-
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I shift listening to the engine well and all but I want to push at the track in the spring. I just changed the speedo cable a month ago because I didn't get it all the way out of the housing when I dropped the tranny to changed the clutch. The tach didn't work before hand for crap either.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Hm. Its definitely not the speedo cable. It is definitely just a bad tach. I had the same problem, it was comical actually, watching the tach bounce from 0 to 9000 rpm constantly. (Sounds like Harris needs to SEARCH ;))

I bought a used gauge cluster at a local yard for $40, swapped out the tach, and someone bought the rest of teh cluster for $20. The swap took maybe 20 minutes.

·
-John-
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NismoSER said:
Hm. Its definitely not the speedo cable. It is definitely just a bad tach. I had the same problem, it was comical actually, watching the tach bounce from 0 to 9000 rpm constantly. (Sounds like Harris needs to SEARCH ;))

I bought a used gauge cluster at a local yard for $40, swapped out the tach, and someone bought the rest of teh cluster for $20. The swap took maybe 20 minutes.
I didn't see that this thread was responded too, thanks for the help and yes it is very comical, my friends look over and say "whatare you doin, is it that quiet?" or the best I've heard is "Oh man, that just can't be healthy with that kinda mileage..."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts