SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, so I get to fix my 5th gear now. I almost pulled the trigger on one last November when I (with help from friends) replaced my clutch. But now I have a nice tax return coming...

So. Who has one? Tell me about it.

Is it a viscous type like the OE, or mechanical like a Quaiffe?
Will it wear out like the OE?
Straight forward install?
Where's the best place to get one?

Thanks!

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
The Nismo LSD is not viscous, that I do know. If I remember it right, its a 1.5-way mechanical diff, although a little different than Quaife. Jacen99se has one in his car. PM him and ask him what his thoughts are on the Nismo LSD.

I'd say any part will wear out over time, although I'm sure the Nismo unit will have a longer life than the stocl VLSD.

I guess the best place to get one would be through a dealership. That's the only way you can get Nismo parts in the USA, AFAIK.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
apparently, most of the NASA SE-R cup guys run the Nismo unit. I think it's roughly $700-800.

·
fabricator
841 Posts
MaddMatt said:
Is it a viscous type like the OE, or mechanical like a Quaiffe?
Will it wear out like the OE?
Straight forward install?
Where's the best place to get one?
It is not viscous like OE, or gear-type like a quaife. It is a clutch type diff. They work really well. It will last much longer than a viscous diff. For the most part, I don't think diffs like this even wear out. It uses stacks of metal discs to create friction. KAAZ diffs are like this, as well as (iirc) tomei and some OE brands. It has much more positive traction and grab out of corners than a viscous diff. It will not do the wierd Quaife thing where it doesn't work when one wheel is unloaded, and also is a little more progressive than the quaife. Not to mention the fact that you can't even buy a quaife anymore :) It is a solid buy. You can get it from any Nissan dealer. Search, i think someone has posted the part numbers. You will want to buy a new speedo drive ring (you'll trash the old one trying to remove it) and I'd personally just buy new bearings to press onto it. I've taken apart and rebuilt several Mazda diffs that use the same type of mechanism and it is very simple and robust.

andris

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
andris said:
It is not viscous like OE, or gear-type like a quaife. It is a clutch type diff. They work really well. It will last much longer than a viscous diff. For the most part, I don't think diffs like this even wear out. It uses stacks of metal discs to create friction. KAAZ diffs are like this, as well as (iirc) tomei and some OE brands. It has much more positive traction and grab out of corners than a viscous diff. It will not do the wierd Quaife thing where it doesn't work when one wheel is unloaded, and also is a little more progressive than the quaife. Not to mention the fact that you can't even buy a quaife anymore :) It is a solid buy. You can get it from any Nissan dealer. Search, i think someone has posted the part numbers. You will want to buy a new speedo drive ring (you'll trash the old one trying to remove it) and I'd personally just buy new bearings to press onto it. I've taken apart and rebuilt several Mazda diffs that use the same type of mechanism and it is very simple and robust.

andris
The clutches do wear after a while but it can be rebuilt. Wear only affects the static breakaway torque because the diff will still lock when there is a speed differential between the wheels. The Nismo diff has a cam on the pinion shafts that applies load to the clutch stacks in proportion to the speed differential of the wheels.

Mike

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next question: who has a good price? I asked my local dealer and they want $907 for one. I keep hearing $700-$750 is the going rate. Where?!?!?

Matt

·
8,886 Posts
I hear it is not as progressive as the Quaife. Of course the Quaife is not an option.
Matt, Just get it. You know you want it. You know you need it. It will be very good for you. It is designed just for you. Great Diff, Great Price. Call Brian and Greg. See who will give you the best price.

·
Proud father of two
1,236 Posts
What is the Nissan part number for this thing? I don't want to go to the dealer and get the VLSD instead. Someone has got to have it.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,637 Posts

·
Proud father of two
1,236 Posts
Whoa...easy there Bruce. I don't want you keeling over with a heart attack or anything! ;)

I thought there were 2 diff part #'s; one for the 91-97's and one for the 98+'s.

·
8,886 Posts
38420RS360 is for the NON LSD tranny
38420RS365 is for the LSD tranny (like Matt needs).

Matt, please confirm the part before you order. They should have no problem looking these up and making sure you get the right one. I have always been of the opinion that you don’t tell a shop what part # to order but what part you need and then they look it up and get you the right part. That way it's them that screws up not you.

·
Proud father of two
1,236 Posts
Thanks Steve for FINALLY clearing that up for us. :)

On a side note, I just called my dealer and they only have the P/N RS360 for the "non lsd" tranny. I'm going to try my other dealer to find out.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
98sr20ve said:
Brian at Courtesy Nissan
Greg Vogel at Mossey Nissan

i thought Greg doesnt work @ Mossy anymore no?

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
He works at Quality Nissan now. His number is 800-229-2292.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,637 Posts
Whoa...easy there Bruce. I don't want you keeling over with a heart attack or anything!
Well, Harris quit as Search Nazi, so I'm picking up some of the slack.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Man that LSD is bank! Then again it is Nismo :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts