SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been researching spots to tap for a turbo oil return. and it seems like tapping the pan would be the easiest and noob proof method of doing so, i also read that one should tap the lower pan...

i have a couple questions, where should the lower oil pan be tapped, or should it even be tapped would it be better off tapping the upper? .

and if i were to tap the oil pan, wouldnt the tap be below the oil level and would that give me a problem and force oil up the return or some how limit oil drain from the turbo?

where on the pan should a tap be placed, and what size tap

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont understand and i see this alot, but why is the drill bit that people recomend bigger then the tap size? 45/64 bigger then 1/2 inch, or 23/32 bigger then 1/2 inch

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
ive been researching spots to tap for a turbo oil return. and it seems like tapping the pan would be the easiest and noob proof method of doing so, i also read that one should tap the lower pan...

i have a couple questions, where should the lower oil pan be tapped, or should it even be tapped would it be better off tapping the upper? .

and if i were to tap the oil pan, wouldnt the tap be below the oil level and would that give me a problem and force oil up the return or some how limit oil drain from the turbo?

where on the pan should a tap be placed, and what size tap
Try to do a search first. There's a reason why no one here taps the lower pan: the oil won't drain out of the turbo properly because it's a gravity drain.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
first off i dont need to hear a lesson on searching ,
secondly theres quite a few threads where theres a debate tapping the block vs the pan, some even recommending the lower oil pan
http://www.sr20forum.com/turbo/196461-drill-tap.html

theres just one of them...

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Try to do a search first. There's a reason why no one here taps the lower pan: the oil won't drain out of the turbo properly because it's a gravity drain.
I've always said the same thing, so imagine my surprise when I was changing the oil on my 06 2.0t GTi, and saw that the return is to the bottom of the pan.

I still wouldn't do it on an SR20, since the lower pan is so shallow, and the return would be hanging low.

So.. I have a question.. Would you drill a pilot hole using like a 1/4" or just use the 45/64"?
The size of the pilot hole isn't critical.

C

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Oops, I read his question incorrectly. I'd absolutely drill a pilot hole first, no doubt about it.

C

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
yeah definetly tap the block, its not to say that tapping it into the lower pan wont work properly, i mean the evo's use the drain directly back into the bottom of the pan so i mean its all going to drain, gravity works the same way, but on the sr the pan does hang down really low so i wouldnt do it there, its much more simple and cleaner to just tap the block. I mean this is the way the det's came from factory why not go with it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
first off i dont need to hear a lesson on searching ,
secondly theres quite a few threads where theres a debate tapping the block vs the pan, some even recommending the lower oil pan
http://www.sr20forum.com/turbo/196461-drill-tap.html

theres just one of them...
wow, attitude. he was just tryin to help you out with the question you asked. It did sound a bit newbish. Anyway I will vote for tapping the block, doing it that way also helps for a much cleaner install

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.