SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading about this in Rollcage's "for sale" post and I thought of something:

This guy I know has a '92 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 with everything you can think of and he has a LAPTOP hooked in to his ECU to control EVERYTHING (boost, sputter box, timing, etc). Do they make anything like that for us?

BTW: this guy's car is so f---ing fast... he runs low 12's all day...

------------------
Jason N. -- '92 Black Classic
JWT ECU
JWT Cams
JWT POP Adapted to:
PRI CAI
HS Header
2 1/2" Pipe in CAT's Place
GReddy Cat Back

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
and correct me if im wrong but isnt the MDM nothing but a fancy scanner? like a consult pretty much allows you to see what each thing is doing</font>
That is correct... It's pretty much a "portable" Nissan Consult, although one would think the actual Nissan Consult does more (which it does.) The Techtom is essentially like the Apex'i Multichecker, but monitors more engine parameters.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and not a piggy back system like the AFC? I remember first seeing these things when i first got the se-r and really wanted one.....now if i just had a job and some money.</font>
Well... The S-AFC actually does something, unlike the Techtom. It acts like a cheaper alternative to an aftermarket ECU program, but the problem is that they don't work well with MAF-sensored cars like ours. The ECU will continue to compensate for any changes made by the S-AFC, making it pretty much null and void. Speed density-equipped cars like Hondas would benefit from a piggyback fuel controller like the S-AFC, though.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jason92Classic:
This guy I know has a '92 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 with everything you can think of and he has a LAPTOP hooked in to his ECU to control EVERYTHING (boost, sputter box, timing, etc). Do they make anything like that for us?

BTW: this guy's car is so f---ing fast... he runs low 12's all day...
</font>
Sounds like he has a stand-alone engine management system like a Haltech E6K, Electromotive TEC2, Apex'i Power FC, etc. Those systems replace the factory ECU completely--rather than a piggy back like the Apex'i S-AFC--and allow you to program your own fuel and ignition maps via laptop computer. Those stand-alone's can be made to work for our cars, however, the person doing the tuning should know what he's doing, or else he might just blow up the car. There was talk about this on the SE-R mailing list whether someone could program a stand-alone system to out-perform the JWT ECU; however, I do not know of anyone who has done a stand-alone ECU for our cars.

There is another type of program, that plugs into the ECU diagnostic port that monitors engine parameters much like the Techtom MDM-100; but it's a software program for your laptop computer, and it could be found here:

http://www.obd-2.com

Other than that, it sounds like your friend with the Galant has a stand-alone system.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
stuff, stuff, but still needs more stuff!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
thats all nice a peachy from odb-2.com .....if we had odb2 cars
. The classics odb1 wont work with the program i think. oh well. and correct me if im wrong but isnt the MDM nothing but a fancy scanner? like a consult pretty much allows you to see what each thing is doing and not a piggy back system like the AFC? I remember first seeing these things when i first got the se-r and really wanted one.....now if i just had a job and some money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts