SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tranny is acting funny.

Its a sporradic(sp?) problem. Sometimes I have to force it into gear really hard, then the whole car starts shaking? Other times it just slides right into gear. I had gotten on it a while before it started doing this but nothing really bad right before it happened.

What gives??

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have an es insert in the front one...i dont see how that would limit me going into first or second gear though.

·
GTIRoids
2,918 Posts
nizzan4u2nv said:
How are your motor mounts.
U know what Blair he may have something here. The rear mount that's on the trans and engine will effect shifting. I say let's do the rest of the mounts, some shockproff gear oil and see if that cures it. :cool:

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
I was going to ask you eralier on the phone if you had check out the shifter linkage and rear motor mount. Crawl under there tomorrow and poke your nose around and see if anything is out of place. But if it persists, plan on pulling the tranny ASAP or you'll end up with a shredded trans like my junker. :(

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
if the motor mounts are shot, the motor will move too much which won't allow you to shift because it forces the shift linkage to bind or something

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not sure....havent tried that. at idle just sitting there last night i could row thru all the gears no prob. i was doing it for like 5 mins.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
my tranny gives me a very hard time going into gear sometimes too. i have redline MTL and i have and installed Prothane MM's.. it has shifted fine with the old mounts but sometimes it would seem like i was going to snap the shifter trying to get it into gear. i have yet to install the shifter bushing so im hoping once that is in it clears up, but if it doesnt are there anyother ideas?

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
97SE-R C2 said:
Also check the T/O bearing. Does it go in and out of gear fine when the car is off?
just fine there. im getting stumped here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts