SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, gang;

The turbo bug is biting me, and I need to make it stop. I have a nice nitrous setup, am knocking on the 13-second door, on an engine with 149,000 miles on it.

I'm a lucky guy.

I don't need a turbo.

But I'm starting to want one now, and that scares me.

Somebody tell the turbo bug to go away, please. If not, then tell me why I need a turbo, and why I'd be smart to start off with a GTiR manifold and T28.

Okay, guys....let me hear it.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Can't autocross well w/ a turbo... remember u have "2 different cars"... LOL I want a turbo setup... someday.

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
909 Posts
Who says you cant autoX with a turbo? I plan on doing it sometime and every time I go to an autoX there is at least 3-4 turbo cars there.

------------------
MarC
93 NX2000
JWT POP charger
15.5 1/4 mile

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for autocrossing....I'm now in Street Modified, so anything goes. And, most likely, anything WILL begin going next season.

I think a turbo that spools up quick, but isn't capable of tons o' boost (T25 or T28) would be *perfect* for autocrossing.

Just a tad bit more power than I have now would be great in autocrosses, IMHO. Then turn the boost up and go drag racing. I know I'm playing two different fields here....but see no reason a compromise kind of setup couldn't be reached.

Then again, I know nothing.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Is there a dual ball bearing unit that's the same size as a T28? I would think that it would be killer for autocross. Less lag, if any.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Yeah for autocrossing especially, you'd want a smaller, quick-spooling turbo. Rob Cadle could probably fill you in on which turbo specifically, but I think there's a T28 variant that's full ball bearing that should spool pretty quickly. Even my GT30/37 starts going into positive boost by 3100 RPM, and that's almost good enough.

And no, you can't make the turbo bug go away. It's here to stay.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Zak, if the turbo bug is here to stay, I might as well get cookin' on it, no?

Rob Cadle did suggest a turbo, and that's one of the options I'll have to consider.

Let's see....my NOS setup (with manifold) should net some decent $$$, so I can afford to do this.....

OK, turbo for Greg!

That was easy.

Check the new sig photo.....

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc.,
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
You punk.
I thought we were going to work on a progressive nitrous controlled SR20 powered car. Oh well.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Punk? Okay.....

Buy my NOS setup, and you can do the progressive thingy your self.

Of course, I still haven't purchased SQUAT, so the nitrous thing is still possible.

I just like the attractiveness of a power-adder I can use while autocrossing. The SCCA allows turbos, but no nitrous, for some strange yet-unexplained, reason.

You've entrusted me with some secrets, Ryan. Don't make me start talkin'...

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
haha, i was jk. For some reason this
didn't show up after the punk part. I wish you the best of luck whichever route you choose to take.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts