SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever i floor it, the temperature gauge flutters down from it's normal position in the middle of H and C...but then it shoots right back up to normal. what is wrong here?

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
sounds like the temp sensor for the gauge is going out (its the single prong one on the intake manifold)

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had this problem a few months ago. My friends joked around and called it my boost gauge. hehe... I was told to try cleaning the connector and it worked. It started up again recently so I guess I'll have to end up replacing it. I haven't gotten around to getting prices for it but once I do I'll post it here unless someone beats me to it.

Mel

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is this sensor? is it an electrical connector type or is it just a wire held down by a screw? i need to find out where it is, cuz it's bugging me...

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

·
Registered
858 Posts
LOL! silversx that signature is funny! you're talking about the aluminum wing right? cops out here are giving tickets for the ginsu wings.hehe.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no...it's just...nobody here in roanoke knows what a 200SX is. they always call it a honda or a sentra or just 'what is that silver thing?'

i just smile.

now where is that sensor?!$#?

------------------

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:

now where is that sensor?!$#?

</font>
Buy an FSM
Im not real sure exactly where it is, Ill have ot go get my FSM and check, but that can wai till morning!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
i have this problem on my 93se-r.
It stoped for a while, then i jigled around the wires leading to the temp sensor and then it started again. So maybe a loose connection. I will try to mess w/ it some more and see what happens.
wonder what this sensor costs? if i need a new one or if its just loose connection. I would have fixed it by now but its hard to get too.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
woah, cool. thanks. i take back what i said in the 200SX SE-R forum.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
in response to where is this sensor.
not sure where it is on your car on my 93 its on the back passenger side of the engine. Its like a 2 wire plug brown in color below the t-body in the block at a 45 degree angle above a pulley for the a/c compressor or something. that's how i can best describe where it is. even w/ my crappy Hanes manual w/ a picture it took me a while to find it. hope this helps.

------------------
93 se-r, pace setter header, modified air box.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
91-93 high ports have the sensor located not far from the oil filter (hides kinda under the intake manifold), there will be 2 sensors the Red one (easy to see) will go to the ECU and the black one which is for the gauge (the one you need to change) they sit on a pipe that connects to the back of the head. To get it out just get an extension and a deepwell socket. Hope that helps, if not email me and I can send some pics.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Since we are talking about the temperature sensor, I would like to inform you guys that my car does something that is similar to silversx's car. After the car is at normal condition, and about say 20 minutes of driving, if left at idle, the temperature gauge, after about a couple of minutes would rise to the H to the point where the fans would blow it down to normal temperature. This would happen like 90% of the time. After this event, the gauge would either remain at normal or what silversx says

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the temperature gauge flutters down from it's normal position in the middle of H and C...but then it shoots right back up to normal</font>
But sometimes it doesn't stay at normal after it fluctuates. It sometimes goes all the way to the H and the fans come on again and blows it in the middle, and the cycle repeats. This happens about 10% of the time.

Will changing/cleaning the temperature sensor help solve the problem?

NOTE: This only happens at idle and when the car is warmed up. I noticed that while the car is moving these problems are non-existant. Perhaps a radiator problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

[This message has been edited by SERacer (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
It could be the radiator cap....

------------------
93 NX2K