SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
boosting
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know someone on here has done a timing chian tensioner on a 91 sr20de. I just got it in the mail and am going to do it tommorow, my question is what lines up, like there is a little swivel thingie and I want to know if that part hooks unto the chain somehow or what has to be done, maybe you just have to push the new tensioner in and you can fee it click into place. Please let me know I don't want to mess things up.
Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
727 Posts
Submerge the new tensioner in a cup of motor oil before you install it to lube it up. Make sure the grooved part of the plunger is pointed up like the plastic chain track will fit directly on it. You cannot make a mistake the hook will only hook one way! Make sure you push the plunger in and hook the hook thing, you know. Then when you install it, it wont disengage until you start the car. Brian from Courtesy told me how to do this and it worked for me! Before you start the car just hit the ignition a few times to turn it over so the hook will disengage then let it run for a few to get properly lubricated and off you go!

There is a walk through at se-r.net if you need more info!

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
That's a pretty good explaination of how to do it, Project. That should get it done.

*edit* Don't forget to put the oil filter on. Don't ask how I know. :(

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
If you do not want to turn the engine over a few times, you could also crank the engine manaully with a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt. That way you can actually here the tensioner click open.

That is what I did when I swapped my '96 intake cam for the '91 cam.

I felt more secure knowing it actually disengaged prior to starting the car.

Just my opnion.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Damnit NIsmo, where were you when I posted this topic way back when? Thats a hell of a great way to do it so you can hear it click! DOH! :D

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
ProjectSE-R said:
Damnit NIsmo, where were you when I posted this topic way back when? Thats a hell of a great way to do it so you can hear it click! DOH! :D
Picking my nose, reading the post wondering why you would want to start the car before realizing if the tensioner snapped out or not.
, then going to sleep!

Haha!

Seriously though, I think I missed that post! Sorry! :(

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
silversx said:
i did a tensioner replacement on my 93. the new tensioner from my old 96 motor was superior to the 93's. it had a larger oil chamber. it was pretty cool to see. i think instructions on how to do this are at:

http://www.se-r.net/engine/timing_chain_tensioner/se-r_tensioner.htm
I just did mine 2 weeks ago following the instructions and pics at the linked site. No problems following the guide and pics to get it done.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Also, when you're doing the removal/install put a big rag under where the tensioner comes out, or you get motor oil dripping onto your belts, and they will slip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts