SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a shop that carries(or can fabricate)Test Pipes? I'd like to get ahold of one for "off road use"
Is there anyone that has one on already? What kind of a difference in sound does it make?

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
I dont know where you can get one... I went to a "Shady Tree" Mechanic and had him fabricate a stainless one for myself. It's illegal so we had to do it under the table.

Most will say the difference is negligible; I disagree. I did mine when the car had 88000+ miles. Holy cow, the difference was unreal! Quicker throttle response all the way. It was like getting a huge shot of nasal spray on those days when your allergies are acting up. I'm talking MASSIVE exhaust flow improvement. Also, if you are going turbo and can get away with it (like in AL), definitely lose the cat.

The only drawbacks are:
-The car is definitely louder (but sounds good with a GReddy or HKS).
-I get backfire very often coming off of WOT.
-Emissions stink!

------------------
Jason N. -- '92 Black Classic
JWT ECU
JWT Cams
JWT POP Adapted to:
PRI CAI
HS Header
2 1/2" Pipe in CAT's Place
GReddy Cat Back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jay, what do you mean by "louder"? are we talking like having one of those loud aftermarket mufflers loud or just loud like an equal length header sound?(which sounds kinda "tinny"?) I found a shop that will make one for me, so I would like to know how loud it is before I purchse it.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
not obnoxious loud; definitely worth it so DO it!

·
Registered
858 Posts
not for nothing, but that tinny sound suddenly came about when I put the header on my deggutted cat. but I've heard the same header on a gutted cat with a straight pipe in it and no tinny sound so I think that sound comes from the cat.I'm gonna get a straight pipe welded inside the cat and see if it works. In NY if the car has no cat , the shops wont work on the car so you need the shell at least!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least my mechanic here is a Gearhead as well, so he just snickered when I said I was going to "modify" the exhaust system. The only problem is with visual inspection next year, but I have to wait till next year, anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts