SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
merely a flesh wound
15,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend past weekend is one I will not soon forget. From a fantastic 1000+ mile road trip, to finally meeting so many online friends, spending time with a bunch of long time buddies, having an awesome time at the track, and then blowing up my engine while giving someone their first ride on the track.

My engine went down swinging, that's for sure. I spent allot of time on the track on Saturday, and got more comfortable and faster with each session. By late afternoon I had given Dexter from NY his first taste of what it's like to drive on a road course, and he was amazed. I took his buddy out during my next session, and he was equally hooked. Unfortunately, towards the end of that session, we rounded the last corner before the front straight in second gear, and as the engine approached redline things got ugly. The motor was toast... and that's when things started to happen.

The outpouring of concern and help by so many people has truly blown me away. I have so many people to thank, that I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks Sarah, for helping me tear off the valve cover, hoping that the ugly noises were something in the valve train.

Thanks to whoever (Ray, Joe, Kieran and David?) drained my oil and had the car ready for me to refill it, hoping that I might get lucky enough to nurse the car home.

Thanks to Mike Pahls for trailering my car back to the hotel, while his displaced car was driven the 60 miles back on race rubber.

Thanks to Greg Perry and Kevin Hart for coming up with so many amazing ideas to get my car back on the road, you two guys blew me away with your resourcefulness and caring. The way you both were able to rally the troops was a sight to behold, and I'm in debt to each of you for taking a large chunk of your convention time to help me. Greg even trailered my wounded car, while Calum followed in Greg's turbo B13 for the 3+ hour trip to Tennessee.

Thanks to Louis LePrad's Dad. This is a man who I never met, of even talked to online. A man who agreed to keep my car at his house until we can get an engine it.

Thanks to Greg Vogel who kept my spirits up by telling me, time and time again, that everything was going to work out. I don't know how you knew it, but you were right Greg.

Thanks to Grover Pickering for giving me an airline ticket home, I'm still in shock from that Grover!

And finally, thanks to all of you (and I know there were allot if you), that were kind enough to contribute money to help me out. I am truly humbled, and blessed to know you all. I was stunned when George Roffe's wife gave me that envelope, and I'm indebted to all of you.

If I've missed anyone, I apologize. The way you all came to my rescue has turned a potentially disastrous event (it ain't a good feeling to have a dead car 1000 miles from home), into an unforgettable one.

I look forward to seeing some of you soon in Tennessee for the motor swap, and it's great to know that I can count on so many of you when the chips are down.

You guys rock, and I'm lucky to be a part of such an awesome community!

Chris

·
Shift_日産
1,821 Posts
Wow........

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am amazed that our group of SE-R dudes we aint a buncha ricers like the Honda crowd, we are all like a big family. Depending on the day of the swap, I might be able to drive down to help ya guys with the engine swap :) Just let me know, weekends are good for me, and I think others also. How far is it from Chicago ?
Mike Jez
01 Max all da goodies 5spd.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
Chris,
Glad to hear you got back home safely! i may drive up for the swap to help/hangout/learn. I'm sorry i didn't get to spend more time at the meet. to echo your words it was truly inspiring to see the groundswell of concern and support for a fellow enthusiast.

Happy Motoring!

Brian Cembor

·
Registered
803 Posts
That is probably one of the greatest things I have ever heard, the outpouring response from the people that helped Chris out. I'm just amazed.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Chris was in with a great bunch of people. From the total look of concern and wtf look on his face at the track, to the look of amazement on his face from the support he got.

Do unto others and you are surely blessed... what an awesome community.

Later,
Mark

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
This is what we do, and who we are.

I found this out about 2 years ago, and Chris is now seeing just what makes the SR20 (and Nissan, in general) community so terribly unique:

It ain't about the cars.

We help each other, to be quite honest with you. People have gone out of their way (about an 8 hour out-of-the-way) to help me before. I've returned the favor.

Helping Chris was a no-brainer made without hesitation.

This is what we do.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I am amazed... I didn't know all of that went down! I saw the motor go out, and tried to offer my assistance, but was assured that you guys had it under control. I'm amazed at the close knit ties, and how nice you guys all are. I'm glad I came out and I'll be there next year for sure!
Travis

·
**GIZMO**
1,510 Posts
yeah its great how you guys think!
i think the same way, its good to know
there are people still people willing to help
i've spent many hours helping out nissan buddies
in time of need. and your right its really different compared
to other people who would just pretend not to see you and leave.
good looking out guys, and i hope it doesn't change, there is no comunity like it!

greg

:)

·
little Thunder
1,969 Posts
Hey Chris!!! Glad you got home safely and everything work out for your car. I really feel your pain, as I almost did for a few minutes when I tought my DET blew up. Let me know when you plan on the swap at Nashville.

I'll hook up with Mike Jez or Ben if they are coming.

It was good to meet and hang with everyone. I had TONS of fun and learn a lot for my first track meet. I hope to do more next year now that my SE-R is up and running.

Steve

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Convention booboos
1999: Mike Mager trashed 3rd gear at Buttonwillow
2000: Whew! not fatal injuries (to engines) though Matt Ostland tried hard
2001: Larry Weeks lost his engine at Summit Point
2002: ?
2003: Chris Scarpulla lost his engine at Little Talladega
2004: Let's not make a habit of this!

·
Registered
39 Posts
david said:
2001: Marc Anderson blows a rocker off. Replaced at track.
2002: Kojima blows up Kyle Davis's motor.
2000: Mike Jez blows up his motor on the way to the convention.
(something about 140+ MPH sustained with a top mount intercooler)

Mike and several others (I can't remember the names) stayed up all night
in an attempt to replace the rod bearings. It ended up being the main
bearings. Bummer.

Anyway, he left the car at my house for a few months until we could
make arrangements to have it carried by to Chicago.

We should probably just bring an extra motor next year!

Grover
'92 SE-R SCCA/ITS

·
pwnd
3,456 Posts
Chris' car is sitting in Smyrna right now, just a few miles from its birthplace. It will soon live again. It sounds nasty as we did start it to put it on and off the trailer. Only one Ive heard worse was Larry's. It pounded at idle. Jez's wasnt horrible till you got into revs.

We are looking at sometime soon, few weeks for the swap. There are a few hold ups, biggest being holiday season coming upon us quick. And the fear of snow on his drive home. It will be a long jerk and place. One weekend to pull engine and prep new one. Next weekend to prep engine bay and place engine. I dont know what the magical number of help is tho. Too many hands is defintaly bad, but at the same time help is help.

As Calum and I were saying, next year everyone should just throw in again and buy an engine as a raffle prize. And who ever "wins" the blown engine award gets it....

·
Shift_日産
1,821 Posts
If its a DET then ill Win that prize :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts