SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another post I swapped my 98 intake cam back in because I'm selling my Sentra soon and am selling all the performance parts off of it. You can tell a good difference when you install the 91 cam, but my ECU took a few days to learn the new cam so the power change was gradual. Now that I've switched back, holy crap is it SLOW. Thing won't rev at all.

I'm convinced that a 91-93 intake cam is a MUST mod for you 98-99 people. I don't know if the 94-97 intake cam is closer to the 91-93 cam or the crappy 98-99 cam, but I'd still HIGHLY recommend it as a first mod. My car doesn't even FEEL like an SR20DE anymore.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE and crashed 93 NX2000

[This message has been edited by Ben98SentraSE (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
As I mentioned in another post I swapped my 98 intake cam back in because I'm selling my Sentra soon and am selling all the performance parts off of it. You can tell a good difference when you install the 91 cam, but my ECU took a few days to learn the new cam so the power change was gradual. Now that I've switched back, holy crap is it SLOW. Thing won't rev at all.

I'm convinced that a 91-93 intake cam is a MUST mod for you 98-99 people. I don't know if the 94-97 intake cam is closer to the 91-93 cam or the crappy 98-99 cam, but I'd still HIGHLY recommend it as a first mod. My car doesn't even FEEL like an SR20DE anymore.

</font>
I can't wait for mine to show up from Andreas. How is the install? I heard it's not bad. Any tips or cautions?

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm convinced that a 91-93 intake cam is a MUST mod for you 98-99 people. I don't know if the 94-97 intake cam is closer to the 91-93 cam or the crappy 98-99 cam, but I'd still HIGHLY recommend it as a first mod. My car doesn't even FEEL like an SR20DE anymore.

</font>
Do you have any evidence aside than SOTP that the 98 intake cam is different than the 95-97 intake cam on the 200SX SE-R? I would like to see that evidence. it is the same cam; there is no difference. The problem with the 98 is the extra emission stuff that chokes the car. You may think it is the cam, but it is not.

BTW why are you selling your car? Is it because you have more expenses now than before? I think you should keep it. you love that car. Just an opinion

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
On the '99s, the intake cam is smaller. How do I know? I have a '96 and a '99 FSM and I looked at the cam specs. As far as the '98s go, someone else with a '98 FSM will have to look it up. If anyone has a '98 FSM, post the intake cam specs here, and I'll compare then to the '96 and '99

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
Do you have any evidence aside than SOTP that the 98 intake cam is different than the 95-97 intake cam on the 200SX SE-R? I would like to see that evidence. it is the same cam; there is no difference. The problem with the 98 is the extra emission stuff that chokes the car. You may think it is the cam, but it is not.
</font>
Naji, Do you have a stick up your ass? You seem extra irritable lately. Ben made a simple mistake, he even said in his original post he didn't know the specs. I think you could have frased that better.

ps. Please don't let this turn into another Naji vs all thread.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
On the '99s, the intake cam is smaller. How do I know? I have a '96 and a '99 FSM and I looked at the cam specs. As far as the '98s go, someone else with a '98 FSM will have to look it up. If anyone has a '98 FSM, post the intake cam specs here, and I'll compare then to the '96 and '99</font>
I have a '98 FSM, and I have compared the cam specs to one from a '95 FSM. The intake cams are the same.

--Andrew Phan

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Thank you Andrew. Just for the archives(we have those here you know) I'll post the differences in the '91-'93, '95-'98 and '99. Does someone have a '94 FSM?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You can tell a good
difference when you install the 91 cam, but my ECU took a few days to learn the new
cam so the power change was gradual. Now that I've switched back, holy crap is it
SLOW. Thing won't rev at all.</font>
So, does the ECU now need to relearn the '98 cam perhaps?

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Naji, Do you have a stick up your ass? You seem extra irritable lately. Ben made a simple mistake, he even said in his original post he didn't know the specs. I think you could have frased that better.

ps. Please don't let this turn into another Naji vs all thread.[/B]</font>
What??? Phrased it better? What was wrong with it? What the heck are you talking about? Do I have to use "please" and "kindly" and sugar coat everything!!! I thought we were all friends and we can "kick the ****" together and talk straight up w/o any pretense. I guess I was wrong

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
So, does the ECU now need to relearn the '98 cam perhaps?</font>
Ben's car didn't show an increase in power like mine and my fiancee's cars did. The graph that I posted was the before and after runs done on the same day. I dynoed the car 3 times, changed the cam and then dynoed 3 more after that. The car never left the dyno, so the difference wasn't from the car being strapped down differently. The other graph was from a '97 SE-R, but the runs were about 2 weeks apart. In that time, I fixed the timing in addition to the cam. After installing the cam, the drive home was fun. SOTP dyno show a big difference, and the DynoJet roller showed the same. Ben's car on the other hand didn't show anything until he drove it home. I guess(and this is just a GUESS that with the increased emission equipment on the '98 and '99 cars, the ECU needs more time to learn mods, at least internal mods.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
What??? Phrased it better? What was wrong with it? What the heck are you talking about? Do I have to use "please" and "kindly" and sugar coat everything!!! I thought we were all friends and we can "kick the ****" together and talk straight up w/o any pretense. I guess I was wrong

</font>
What I was refuring to was that Ben admitted to not knowing the specs, But you still insisted on proof of the cams inferiority. Where did you want him to get proof, he already said he didn't know. You have to admit you take this 98 cam thing a bit personally since the article in SCC.

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Naji... Need proof? Check SCC. They did a test the 91 Cam gains 9hp and 5lbs. Read it man, live proof. Or just email Mike K. himself. Besides that I have no problem with you or the way you phrased your question... but I guess it could've sounded ignorant. I know I just sent the money for my 91 cam from Andreas also... Can't wait to get that biotch!

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by borguesian:
Naji... Need proof? Check SCC. They did a test the 91 Cam gains 9hp and 5lbs. Read it man, live proof. Or just email Mike K. himself. </font>
Naji has read that SCC article. I don't know if you were on the SE-R list at the time or not, but Naji started a pretty long and heated argument regarding that cam shootout article. He eventually wrote a long letter to SCC, and it was eventually printed in a later issue. As for the rest of my reply regarding this, go here:

http://laf.cioe.com/~benbobbo/NonCGI/Forum4/HTML/000350.html

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by borguesian:
Naji... Need proof? Check SCC. They did a test the 91 Cam gains 9hp and 5lbs. Read it man, live proof. Or just email Mike K. himself. Besides that I have no problem with you or the way you phrased your question... but I guess it could've sounded ignorant. I know I just sent the money for my 91 cam from Andreas also... Can't wait to get that biotch!

</font>
Dude, I have read that so called proof and I still believe to this day that the testing method was flawed. If you want the read why go to my site and click on "Letter to SCC" in the table of contents. The method is flawed, flawed I tell you

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When Eric did his car and Stef's both cars showed that same increase in power as you saw in the one dyno curve before. Although it didn't immediately register on the dyno, it definitely helped my car. I didn't mind driving the car NA with the 91 cam- it was nice. But now it doesn't feel fast or sporty or anything. It feels like an economy car

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
But now it doesn't feel fast or sporty or anything. It feels like an economy car</font>
Why does it matter. You are selling the car anyway. I think you should keep the car. It is just sad to see a man part with something that he loves even though he does not want to. But what do I know I am just a ****ing troll

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Johnny GreenBack:
You got that part right!</font>
What else should I expect from an uptight Texan

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

1 - 20 of 35 Posts