SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GearJammer
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM NOT ASKING WHICH ONE I SHOULD GET, SO DONT TELL ME TO SEARCH YOU SEARCH NAZI'S!!! cause I already have searched...

perferably for the B14 or low-port engine, what I want to know is (IN YOUR OPINION) -

what company are you running:
what company do you feel makes the best cai (if you've owned more than one):
how much did it cost:

there's only 3 that Ive found and they all seem pretty good, but...
does the Hotshots only come in red?
does anyone have a pic of the INJEN w/ black piping?
what colors do the Place Racing come in? (this is the only one I didnt feel like searching for)

thanx peoples!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
When I had a B14, I had both the Place Racing and Hotshot CAI. I found that the Hotshot CAI had a much better fitment than the PR CAI. My B13 SE-R had an AEM CAI before I switched to a Hotshot.

It really depends on what you plan to do with the car. My opinion based on what I've read on the forum, and what I've tried myself:

If you plan to stay with stock cams: AEM CAI (AEM supposedly dyno-tuned it on a car with stock cams)
If you plan to run aftermarket cams like JWT: Hotshot CAI (bigger diameter pipe, and extra power was found when used in conjunction with an FPR)

·
Registered
380 Posts
RollcageSR20 said:
If you plan to stay with stock cams: AEM CAI (AEM supposedly dyno-tuned it on a car with stock cams)
Not "supposedly", definitely. AEM Dyno tunes every intake system, They go through preliminary dyno testing with different length and diameters of straight pipes, then they make a few bent-up prototypes that fit in the engine bay, using dimensions based on the preliminary testing. Then they dyno test and compare their different prtotypes and select the best one to use as a final design.

My favorite intake brand is AEM, for any car. I would not buy anything else if I had to choose.

·
Beware....THE BEAR!!
1,730 Posts
I have an Injen CAI on my b14. It has nice fitment. I haven't had any trouble with it. It has a nice growl too. You get on it and it's louder than my greddy sp catback

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
AEM is too small, it sucks for SR20's get the HotShot it makes the most power as said before.

i miss that growl too Rey

·
SE. Period.
323 Posts
qinsac said:
I agree with RollcageSR20, go with the Hotshot. I have it currently, no problems. In the future, I will make my own CAI.
Make your own? with like pvc pipe or something? Isn't the point that they bend it so it does some aerodynamic things for more power?

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
I agree, make your own. Buy some stainless steel mandrel bent exahaust pipe, a foot of silicone hose and some clamps and you're set. For the mid pipe connections if you don't want to fuss with welding in nipples, you could drill holes and thread in brass fittings that have threads on one side, and barbed nipples on the other. Only other options I'd consider is a used Hotshot or AEM, or peice together something using an eBay mid pipe and an autozone CAI for another application for your filter to MAF pipe.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the HotShot CAI w/ K&N RR-3003 Filter and it works great. I definitely found a big power difference over stock. I've run a K&N 12" cone filter (left over from my old Z31 project) w/ stock air tube and I can tell you the HS CAI definitely makes more seat of the pants power...but as for dyno power I dunno...I haven't dyno'd them back to back. I got my HS CAI from ebay for about $100 w/ the original crappy AutoZone type filter (a friend accidentally dropped it and the damn inverted top actually fell off, I had to superglue the damn thing back together), and I bought my K&N RR-3003 (Inverted Polished Top, 6" Filter w/ 3" Flange) from USDieselParts.com for about $56 shipped. Hope this helped!

·
reckless imprudent
188 Posts
if u dont wanna bend, u can always weld elbows together.

just dont throw away that plastic stock pipe. u can use it as a TB adapter...

·
Se-riously???
677 Posts
I don't know what I have, but it's red, heavy, 3" in diameter, and I have an option to go CAI or WAI. I think it's the best in my "opinion".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts