SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '98 Nissan 200SX SE-R. I got a 3 year warranty. I bought it from Carmax and if you bring it back within five days or 250 miles and don't like it they will take it back. Neither of those conditions have come to fruition. Which brings me to my point. I was showing it to my sister (she's a car enthusiast too) so I was driving it hard. I hit a bump at a fairly high rate of speed but it took it qutie well so I didn't think much of it. But then a few minutes later my brakes barely worked. The pedal felt normal when I pressed it ( it didn't like, go all the way to the floor) but the brakes didn't grab very hard at all. It took FOREVER to stop. I got going about 35 and used my e-brake to stop. Strange enough, after that they seemed to come back. I pumped the brakes, and they fully came back. It seems like wet brakes but it wasn't raining and they weren't squealing. There were VERY few Very shallow puddles here and there from yesterday though. I don't remember driving through any water. Could it have something to do with the bump earlier. What gives? Disclaimer: If this is a stupid question, bear with me, I'm a fairly new car enthusiast so I'm still learning. Hey, that's why I'm here. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
765 Posts
well if u were driving hard for awhile, it sounds like it could be brake fade which is a normal condition that occurs when the brakes heat up they dont stop as well.
If that's the case, I'd recommend upgrading to the NX2000 front brake kit. It helps this out quite a bit and greatly improves braking.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, brake fade sucks, but I don't ever have to put up with that anymore (as long as I own my car at least)

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
ya, brake fade sucks, but I don't ever have to put up with that anymore (as long as I own my car at least)

</font>
Why not?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I have really big brakes on my car the SMC babk, you can read about them on sentra.net and possibly se-r.net if you have the money to blow, go for the kit, if not, get the ad22vf kit

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
You would have to be driving really hard for an extended length of time to get fade on the street, but I guess that's not morally objectionable or anything - our cars beg to be driven like that.

Pad fade feels like what you described - a sharp decrease in braking power without a major change in pedal travel or effort. When you sense braking distances getting longer, back off and let the brakes recover.

Even without getting the AD22VFs, it couldn't hurt to change/bleed the brake fluid and look at slightly more aggressive street pads for the front.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
how much bigger are the SMC BABK's rotors than the AD22VF on my NX2000?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

1 - 8 of 8 Posts