SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just emailed a letter to as many people and editors for Primedia Publishing.. Sport Compact Car Magazine for one..

i really wish i could read NissanPerformanceMag.com in the newstands..and for a while now ive wanted to email Primedia for this reason.. well.. here is the letter i sent to them.. hopefully no one is mad at me.. but i really wish i could read NissanPerformanceMag.com at work.. on my lunch breaks.. but not allowed to screw with computers at work lol....... heres the letter gang....

Hello, My Name is Travis and throughout the years ive been trying to get a hold of maybe a producer or someone whom is in charge of the ideas and magazines that are published each month.. Primedia being one of the main ones to contact.. basically.. i am 23 years of age.. and i just wanted to point out an idea i had that could bring you in profits.. and also.. benifit me by having a magazine of interest to me and others, MANY ,MANY others like myself whom would buy this magazine.. if someone has time check out NissanPerformanceMag.com.... this magazine is always awsome.. most of them there dont even know im doin this(Editors of NPM).. i really dont know why i am doin this for everyone.. i just wish i had someother magazine to read.. mostly about nissans.. i know you have Honda Tuning.. and it makes sense.. most of the import sceen is centered around hondas.. well.. the Nissan community is just as strong and growing stronger... Sport Compact Car magazine.. well.. they have a LOT about nissans in there.. but i would LOVE a mag dedicated to Nissans.. if you give me an Email address of people whom would love to buy this magazine.. i can link it to one of the forums that im in.. and can promise you that at least 100 people in the forum would agree.. We NEED a Nissan magazine that we can buy at the stands,and NOT have to get online to read.. Some good reading material in the bathroom sorta speak.. (sorry attempt to poor sick humor).. anyways.. please email me and let me know you at least got this email.. and that you will try your best to satisfy a LARGE community of Nissan Enthusiests.. Travis Burrell of Akron, Ohio

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
I would definitely subscribe to a Nissan dedicated magazine, as long it doesnt have a shitload of riced out GAs. Although most of it would probably be centered around the S chassis and drifting. Drifting=new generation rice.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Mike K. and I have spoken about one day taking NPM to print. There is much more to it than meets the eye, and the costs to do so (as an independent) are astronomically high.

But, it can be done. If -and only if- enough people are willing to sacrifice some things in their lives to do so. Starting a publication from scratch is very difficult, pays very little (in the beginning) and takes long hours and dedication. I did just that in 1998 with my publication, and six years later, I'm just now beginning to make a 'decent' salary.

Primedia would have an easier time of it, naturally. Without getting into specifics, I'm not sure the profit margin would be there for it to be attractive enough to them. That is my opinion, nothing more.

Just some thoughts from a guy who has done this before....and would like to do it again with the right people, the right time, and the right money. Nissan enthusiasts need their own publication, you're right.

The $64,000 Question:
Who is willing to take the risks involved (and they are fairly big ones) to make it happen?

The greater the risks taken, the greater the rewards can be.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would suscribe for sure, and it would be a way to shine some light on b chassis cars and possibly open it up to new aftermarket companies.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
As long as the content of NPM stays the same I would be down. What sacrifices are we dealing with here?

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
Ummmmm........
it will include a section on Infinitis right? :D

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'll contribute any marketing support that I can... that's what I do 9-to-5 (although not in media), and getting distribution and advertising sales would definitely be the biggest hurdles (chicken & egg) - so that being said, I'd love to help out.

I can also offer web support, print design, graphic design, etc. through myself or friends, although I would imagine this type of support isn't that hard to come by.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
nizzan4u2nv said:
I would definitely subscribe to a Nissan dedicated magazine, as long it doesnt have a shitload of riced out GAs. Although most of it would probably be centered around the S chassis and drifting. Drifting=new generation rice.
Sorry, but what's the problem with GAs? There are more of those cars rolling out there than ours. And if there ever is a Nissan magazine that gets published, it should cover all cars and all motors, to keep things on balance, like NPM does right now.

As far as the rice thing goes, look at any mag, they all cover it. Why? Because it means more money. Hardly do you find a car mag with no rice in it. That unfortunately, is the circumstance of capitalism, and there is no one to blame but the market that has such a huge demand for rice.

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
Harris said:
Sorry, but what's the problem with GAs? There are more of those cars rolling out there than ours. And if there ever is a Nissan magazine that gets published, it should cover all cars and all motors, to keep things on balance, like NPM does right now.

As far as the rice thing goes, look at any mag, they all cover it. Why? Because it means more money. Hardly do you find a car mag with no rice in it. That unfortunately, is the circumstance of capitalism, and there is no one to blame but the market that has such a huge demand for rice.
I didnt say I had a problem with them, I just dont want to see many distastefully done GAs. I agree with you that they should cover all platforms and all motors, but they also have to cater to the much bigger crowd which is the S chassis as of right now. For the past year super street mag has had mostly cover cars of the JDM craze, where they have kept the older "rice" vehicles to a minimum, hence the reason why I think it is turning into the next generation rice.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Why the heck would anyone want to spend money on something that, for now, costs us nothing? I click on the new issue and search the archives for information from past issues. I don't feel sorry for anyone who complains about not being able to "read" it at work... it's called work because you're supposed to be working. Why should an employer pay for someone who's not working? Of course, I had to pass code the 2 terminals at work that have internet access... just for that reason:(. The worst offenders, though, were the other managers. Dumb asses still haven't figured out what happened... got tired of finishing their work for them.

I can't imagine the costs of starting and running a magazine. They barely have time, as it is, to complete articles on a timely basis now. How much worse is the time constraint going to be for print material? Plus, if the magazine doesn't "make" it, what are the possibilities of it going back online... probably pretty slim.

I think it would take too much of a time commitment to keep the same quality they have now, imo.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
I think an idea like that is kickass. My dad is in a chevelle club, and he gets "chevelle world" every month. It's pretty cool. So, who wants to put up the $? :D

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
OMG, did you not read what I put. I dont have a problem with them. I never said riced out sr's are ok so stop putting words in my mouth. Stop trying to pick fights and stay on topic.

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
i, for one, do not work at work. and im damn proud of it! hehe, but seriously, i'd subscribe to this definetly. i'm in need of a good magazine subscription

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
vladha said:
Why the heck would anyone want to spend money on something that, for now, costs us nothing?
I'll answer that question with another question, Mark: Why would anybody spend money on hard copies of SCC or Turbo magazines, when you can get their content online, for free right now?

It'll answer itself.

The kind of sacrifices needed to start a magazine are not small. They involve putting most (or part) of one's financial security on the line. People would have to quit current jobs in order to start this magazine up. Some might have to physically move their families to new towns. Most involved would most likely make less in salary than they do now, possibly for more than one year.

And the biggest risk: The magazine could fail and go bankrupt.

However, the rewards could be spectacular: A Nissan enthusiast-dedicated publication, available in most of the country on newsstands, with advertising sales that make up *most* of the cash flow. Visibility in the sport compact market, which in turn could lead to a position of being able to generate tons of aftermarket support for not only our SR20 engines, but also the VG/VQ engines, the GAs.....as long as Nissan makes engines, you will have some sort of demand.

NPM could be a solid magazine in print form, IMHO. I have ideas about building distribution right from the beginning, which would give the numbers necessary for advertising sales to occur. These ideas are very similar to what I did with Herd Insider (my sportsweekly that I started in 1998). HI had 2,800 circulation before volume 1, issue 1 was ever printed. Now, it is at 6,000 which is a very nice size for the incredibly-focused niche market it is in (fans of a single university's football/basketball/sports team(s).)

Mike is aware of some of my ideas, but ultimately, the decision is up to him on what to do with NPM.

And whatever that decision is, we must honor and support it. IMHO.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
vladha said:
Why the heck would anyone want to spend money on something that, for now, costs us nothing? I click on the new issue and search the archives for information from past issues. I don't feel sorry for anyone who complains about not being able to "read" it at work... it's called work because you're supposed to be working. Why should an employer pay for someone who's not working? Of course, I had to pass code the 2 terminals at work that have internet access... just for that reason:(. The worst offenders, though, were the other managers. Dumb asses still haven't figured out what happened... got tired of finishing their work for them.

I can't imagine the costs of starting and running a magazine. They barely have time, as it is, to complete articles on a timely basis now. How much worse is the time constraint going to be for print material? Plus, if the magazine doesn't "make" it, what are the possibilities of it going back online... probably pretty slim.

I think it would take too much of a time commitment to keep the same quality they have now, imo.

Peace Out,
Mark
peace out?? yeah... um.. ok.. man you just threw some gas into the fire.. what the hell is your problem.. maybe if you were a better manager maybe you would have picked up on that earilier.. but thats not what im getting at.. what im getting at is for one.. i didnt say i would be reading NPM WHILE WORKING.. i just said AT WORK.. which is totally different!.. which means.. on my breaks.. and during lunch.. and on the shitter.. i have tons of work i do.. i started here at Halamay Color with one computer and one printer.. now.. Asst. Manager of Digital Images, i have helped contribute to the Halamay's whom now have 9 computers for digital images and retouching, and three High res printers, one in which can process within the machine.. so i dont want to hear i dont work.. because im a very hard worker, and a valued asset to this company.. so before you start throwing useless comments on this thread, THINK about what your saying.. i cant believe how many assholes they let in this forum.. and im suprised no one has said a THING about my bad grammer, punctuation and capitalization of my letter to Primedia? lol.. Travis

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
My bad, I made an assumption... probably because, other than lunch, I don't take breaks, don't see the point because I like to stay busy.

Better manager? Don't get me started. I'm damned good at what I do, especially considering that it takes 3 people to do my job while I'm on vacation and they still can't get everything done. Haven't you ever run into the situation that you kind of "screw" yourself if you're a good worker/manager... then everyone expects you to always do more than your share of work?

I made an assumption... sorry.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Travis, dude, quit being on the defensive all the time. Why do you treat criticisms with such hostility? I think members who read your message will be stressing on the very things that seem to be ticking you off. They are right about what they're saying. How can you expect someone to take you seriously when you can't spell right and are unable to place forward a convincing and persuasive proposal? We're not making fun of you, we're all trying to help you here.

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
How bout this? What if we try to get Nissan to help us print the magazine(haven't quite worked out the details yet)? The way I see it, who better to represent Nissan performance than Nissan itself? :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts