SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm new here and am in the market for a sleeper that has some punch yet still some good gas mileage. I am totally not into the ricer scene with the fart tubes, stickers, and shopping cart wings, but like subtle looks with performance at least at a stock V8 level. I need to know what kind of a vehicle I should consider and what my first round of mods should be to it. Basically, if you had the budget of about $5-$7k, what would you get and how would you make it fast? I'm not into cars that sound like pissed off bees, so keeping it quiet is a must as well. I'm not totally averse to forced induction either so I could use some advice there as well.

Thanks,
Chris

------------------
Blaming guns for murders is like blaming spoons for fat people.

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
Well if your not into ricer cars, you came to the right place! Although many of us spend most of our money on performance mods, some of us do spend on comsmetics. If you have $5-$7k, you can easily pick up an sr20 powered car. Check out www.se-r.net and you will find write-ups of all the sr20 powered cars, and you can make a decision from there. Then you got to make the decision of staying normaly aspirated, or going turbo. And about the subtle thing, if you haven't already, check out the "Best Looking SR20" thread. You'll see quite a few cars that look stock but have that V8 power you speak of. Welcome to the boards, and good luck finding a car.

------------------
Dan
'95 200sx Se-R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking along the lines of a classic, but I would like to start with a car that can be modded fairly cheaply. I would also like a car that can put the power to the ground, so limited slip diff would sure be nice to have. I saw someone had a turbo kit for sale for like $850 with new injectors. Also, an ECU upgrade, from what I hear, is a must for a semi modded car. I would like to get into the 14's but still have a fairly driveable car for winter duty.

Chris
15.7 @ 88.13

·
Registered
42 Posts
God I love how he says 14s are easy. I love SR20's. Nothing can beat them. My other car...an Acura Integra takes like $5,000 worth of bolt ons to even consider 14s. SE-R is i/h/e and you learn to drive and 14s are oh so reasonable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, the car in my sig is a 98 Intrigue with the 3800 and is bone stock with 91k miles. That's how I got my s/n.

Anyways, anyplace in specific I should look for mods? Where should I start modding? Will any of these decrease the driveability of the car?

Chris

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
*Ahem* (clearing throat):

Go get a Classic for $2-4,000 (depending on condition).

Intake ($200 or so), header ($150-475, your choice), decent exhaust ($200 - 500), and put a NOS 50hp nitrous kit on it (wet or dry, your choice).

Bada Bing....you're deep, deep, deep in the 14s.

Still has great mileage and driveability. Turn the bottle on when you want and have fun.

Just my opinion, but I'm biased...

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., [email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Greg,
That is the way I am leaning. What type of intake would you recommend? With a shot of N2O shouldn't I upgrade the injectors and possibly an AFPR? Where would you suggest I pick up this intake and who makes it?

Thanks,
Chris

------------------
Blaming guns for murders is like blaming spoons for fat people.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would go with a CAI from either hotshot, place racing, or AEM. I'm pretty sure if you're just squeezing a 50 shot you won't have to go to larger injectors. 14's are easy as long as you know how to drive the car right.

Mel

·
Registered
424 Posts
You only have to upgrade injectors if you go past a 75 shot, you'd also want to pick up a TT fuel pump.

The great thing about the SR20 is that you can have a 400hp daily driver, and not worry about breaking **** everytime you go to the track.

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 200HP4dr:
Hey all,
I'm new here and am in the market for a sleeper that has some punch yet still some good gas mileage. I am totally not into the ricer scene with the fart tubes, stickers, and shopping cart wings, but like subtle looks with performance at least at a stock V8 level. I need to know what kind of a vehicle I should consider and what my first round of mods should be to it. Basically, if you had the budget of about $5-$7k, what would you get and how would you make it fast? I'm not into cars that sound like pissed off bees, so keeping it quiet is a must as well. I'm not totally averse to forced induction either so I could use some advice there as well.

Thanks,
Chris

</font>

I would look for a G20 or SE-R that had a throw rod for sale for under $1000 that is in good condition. I would but a DET for $1000-1500. I would rebuild the bottom end (bearings, rings) and clean it up. ($500). I would get a 2 1/2" exhaust made up. ($300) The rest would go into brakes and suspension ($1000). How much is that so far? $3300? Now get a SR20 Developement Front mount kit (Donno know the price of it). Still under budget. Wheels and tires ($7-900)$4200. JWT ECU $600=$4800. The rest for either a turbo rebuild or new clothes. :> )

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERprise In WV:

Intake ($200 or so), header ($150-475, your choice), decent exhaust ($200 - 500), and put a NOS 50hp nitrous kit on it (wet or dry, your choice).

Bada Bing....you're deep, deep, deep in the 14s.
</font>
Sorry but I disagree.

Jay Hassinger<===Went 14.1 on the motor with bolt on's and 13.1 with a 50shot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
13.1 is cookin'! I don't think I want to start with a car that won't run. My wife would hate that. I already have a 92 Camaro RS project that I'm working on stuffing an 87 Grand National engine in, and that is taking up most of the space. I will need to drive and mod this car. It will be taking the place of my Wife's 2000 Camry. I'm tired of the car payment and want something with a SOUL.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

chris

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Well, Jay is the exception when it comes to drag racing... not all of us can be gods
An se-r with intake, headers, exhaust, cams, pullies and ecu will have you running 14's all day long no problem. If you want consistent 13's, I'd say you'd have to step up to a turbo or NOS (I prefer turbo, it never runs empty
Oh yeah, that's on street tires.

Khiem

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the classics have LSD, correct? Are you really spinning that badly that a set of DR's would help it out at the track?

I'm think for cost effectiveness, I want to go with a nice, well concealed wet kit. Are there any shops in the INDY area that could help out when I decide on my ride and purchase my mods? Or these DIY type mods that any idiot can do? I have replaced a carb and distributor on my F-body as well as my water pump and tuned it up, but I'm lost under the hood of an import.

Chris

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but I'm
lost under the hood of an import.</font>
It's all the same
Pistons go up and down, make lots of explosions and noise

I remember by great uncle's remark when he saw the cam on top of the engine in my old Horizon (1.7L VW engine): "What the hell is that thing doin' up there? Where the hell are the pushrods??"

Still funny 13 years later...

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I picked up a '93 NX2000 with 96k on it with front damge but a clean title for $600 - drove it from michigan back to kentucky - she's in the shop right now supposed to have her today but its looking like monday now - I've spent 300 in front end parts and 250 in getting it fixed.... Only other piece I need is the front spoiler (from nissan $350 :-( )
And from then on its the DET in the garage, the new tranny, act clutch, es mounts, JWT ecu and funnnnnnnnnn

:p
Chris
(Plus the NX is rare - most of my friends don't have a clue as to what it is)

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Jay;
Fine and dandy about Hassinger. Most cars will go into the 14s on a 50-shot, realistically.

Chris:
Got over to http://www.se-r.net and look through all the various parts of the car, look at pictures that will familiarize you with the underhood bits. It's basically half a V8, turned sideways, with cams on top. The 'back' of the engine is actually on the driver's side, while the 'front' is on the passenger side. Tranny is low on the driver's side. There you go, now you're familiar with FWD imports

If you're decent with simple wiring and hand tools, you can install a NOS kit easily. Just take your time. NOS brand kits come with top-notch instructions. I'm sure you can find someone into imports in a city like Indy (or Kokomo -- hint, hint, anybody out there from Kokomo...I wonder) who has experience with these kinds of things.

For a 50hp shot (wet or dry), no, you don't need bigger injectors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts