SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to outline my trials and tribulations with changing over from a NOS wet-manifold single fogger setup to a direct-port setup. For those of you contemplating doing the same on a SR20.
Single Fogger, 50hp setup:
This one got me deep into the 14s (14.10) on drag radials, and was pretty easy to tune for. I did run on platinum plugs, and didn't have any detonation at all. Timing *can* stay at 17 degrees, but it likes 15 degrees better.
A good, all-around, first-time nitrous setup. I'm glad I went this route first.

NOS Direct-Port setup, 80hp:
After many weeks of hair-pulling, nail-biting, and the like, the direct-port setup is finally working.
Most suggested the 22N, 18F jets (for 78hp), but my car likes 24N, 16F jets much better. It was just too rich with 18F.
That being said...a direct-port setup will detonate and misfire much more than the single-fogger ever did, when things weren't right.
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs are my SE-R's preferred nitrous plug, now. Platinums will detonate *heavily* with a direct-port. Gapped at .030, btw.
Timing now must be no higher than 15 degrees. A MSD Digital 6 box (or similar) is almost mandatory with this setup, or else you'll get very tired of constantly changing your timing twice a day.

Now that I've worked my way up to the point where it all works seamlessly, I can tell you the direct-port (at 80hp) is a much smoother, albeit harder hitting shot of nitrous. Hard to explain. The thing just pulls like a freight train now.

This Saturday, we'll know just how much better things are: I'm racing in an import drag race (locally), on an 1/8 mile dragstrip. I *hope* to crack the 8-second barrier, whereas the single fogger got me as quick as 9.05 @ 79mph in the 1/8th.

The single fogger seems to max out at about 50-60hp on SR20de engines. Our intake manifolds weren't designed to flow fuel, and I think that pretty much caps things at 50-60-hp. Plus, there's the distribution issue, which I'm really surprised that my engine (apparently) suffered no ill effects from a year's worth (85 1/4 mile runs) of nitrous being distributed unevenly. Gutsy engine.

In all...the change to a direct-port is much more complicated than the single-fogger. However, for those of you considering nitrous, I'd heartily recommend getting to know nitrous with a single fogger setup, as it is much more forgiving. Once you get that down, then go for the direct-port setup.

And be glad there are guys like Manny Gonzalez, Andreas Miko, and Dan Paramore (DPR) out there, who are quick to offer tips/suggestions on the direct-port. I just blindly e-mailed them, and they walked me through it over the course of a couple weeks. They're good guys.

Hope this provides some sort of benefit for those of you thinking about going the nitrous route.

------------------
Greg P., '93 SE-R w/ 148,000 miles, JWT
pop, header, ProActive clutch, ST bar, NOS 50--shot (direct port installed, yet to run), Autopower 4-point roll bar/[email protected] 1/4
mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 2.05 60-ft.
My SE-R page, with videos

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 06-19-2001).]

·
Registered
858 Posts
yup love my Jw 50 shot set up. just tried it out today and love it. feels like a smooth pull I expected a crazy blast. although my clutch is gone you feel the car pulling like wow.also could keep 17 degree timing for street driving. I wanna try bumping it up to 55- 60 shot after I get a new clutch.Jw recommends I get their half metal clutch disk set whatever that is for about399 bucks.unless you guys know of a streetable clutch able to handle all bolt-ons, minor motor and 50 shot.300 ft. lbs should be enough?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I was spraying alot yesterday and still have more than half bottle.best bang for buck yet just can't wait to put in the zex flywheel(10.5 lbs) along with new clutch to really fly

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Jw recommended the NA300zx plats for this set up pfr or pkr 6G11 so far so grrrrrrrrrrreat!

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos.

[This message has been edited by redman007 (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
858 Posts
I went with the ACT heavy duty street /strip 241 ft/lbs. for 375 bucks from courtesy nissan. the next biggest size is 308 ft/lbs. for almost 475 bucks.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts