SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are all good until the little gremlins show their ugly heads :squint:.

So, two weeks ago I noticed the exhaust getting alittle loud, I had an autocross on Sunday and wanted to go through the car before making the 72 mile trip. Jack the car up and stick my head under the car expecting the nuts holding my DP up to be loose... a common issue on my car. Low and behold, looky what I find... a couple missing bolts and one broken J-pipe gasket.

Something don't look right here.

She be blown. Oh yeah, and to change that gasket out I removed the turbo and manifold by myself on Saturday :eek:

Luckily, I had two extra T25 setups laying around to salvage the gasket and two missing bolts from. The mystery was that all the bolts and nuts holding the J-pipe onto the turbo were loose :confused:. I found the torque specs and made sure that they were good and tight this time. Maybe they weren't tightened enough last time or the 1000+ track miles had something to do with it.

Fast forward 1 week (Friday the 16th), and I am enjoying myself on the track, the stress management class as we call it seeing as how it's Friday and were not in the office :) . Nothing went wrong except the cords showing on my hoosiers. It was nice, I got to give a few of my fellow autocrossers a taste of the boosted sentra :D. They had nothing but good things to say about the rides.

Saturday was a Porsche track day and as always I sneek into them to get as much track time as possible. We joked a few times about it being close to a year that both me and Brian left on tow trucks from this same track in the same weekend, myself with a blow head gasket and Brian with a exploding wheel bearing on the WRX. The day was fine until mid-day, then it seemed like my day was heading down hill fast. I lost most all power going down the front straight, I couldn't pull in 5th gear... I felt my face turning white as I did the quick look behind me for white smoke, luckily there was none :redface:.

I pulled in the pits and did a once over, nothing seemed out of the ordinary and all temps were well within normal. I did another lap to see what was going on, after getting back onto the front straight I noticed no boost, getting closer. I pulled back into the pits and popped the hood again, but still found nothing obvious. I thought for a few minutes of all the things that could cause a loss of boost... finally it dawned on me to check the wastegate actuator rod... BINGO. Somehow the little c-clip came off allowing the actuator rod to slip off the wastegate.

The c-clip is circled, just incase you don't know what I'm talking about.

Being the magyver type and mostly not wanting to loose out on the rest of my day, I used a pair of pliers to slip the rod back onto the wastegate flap and then found some wire to loop around the end, where the c-clip would normally go and twisted and twisted and twisted until that damn wire wouldn't come off :D

I rock...

The wire-tie held the rest of that day and so far to this day... don't really want to pull the turbo/manifold again to put on that little c-clip, not even sure how it came off.

Overall the car has held up better than I expected for putting on 1400 track miles since it's debute earlier this year. The Avenir motor was a good choice and I would not think of doing it any other way. I've still had a few small issues come up over the course of the year, but nothing that I couldn't handle or that was major enough to send me home on a trailer... knock on wood

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
i had a similar problem. the gasket from the turbo to the manifold blew off and all the bolts were loose on the turbo, and the manifold. i was pissed cus i did have to pull the turbo too. in the process of putting it all back, i put lock washers on ALL the bolts. so far so good... i'd recommend it also just to be safe.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
that ****ing clip!!!! chriscar heard a jingling near my manifold, and when we saw behind it low and behold, that clip broke or fell off as well! chris also did the wire method, and it was a major PITA to get the clip on with the turbo still on the car :squint:

the wire has been holding nice so far :)

coryb13ser said:
yea that sucks, ive had that clip come off aswell. it was pretty scary, all the sudden zero boost.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rob said:
that f-cking clip!!!! chriscar heard a jingling near my manifold, and when we saw behind it low and behold, that clip broke or fell off as well! chris also did the wire method, and it was a major PITA to get the clip on with the turbo still on the car :squint:
I'm pretty sure it's going to take a special pair and alot of cussing to get a new clip back on :eek:

the wire has been holding nice so far :)
This is what I'm thinking, at least for the next 2 months :biggthump

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HkSBlueBird4u said:
I Hate That Gasket... But That Does Happen Due To Bolts Losening Up Soo Yea.. You Were Playin With That **** Befor Eit Went On... Most Probably Taking It Apart To See The Exhuast Wheel Condition..
I tore my setup apart to have everything coated... pretty sure we didn't tighten things up enough. Used loctite this time, but unsure if that will withhold the temps...

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
daveracer said:
SR20DET808 is right. You need lock washers on those or they will come loose. Same thing happened to me. Except i was able to fix it without removing anything.
Oh turst me, I would have done this if I wasn't on a tight schedule to get the car back on the road and actually had some wavy washers laying around. I was also curious if after torquing the bolts to proper spec if they will hold or fall out again... guess I'm the test subject :(

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
^^^ live and learn :)

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
I would just safety wire it or use a cotter pin. It would be easy to do with it off the car.

When I put a T25 into the P10, I will cotter pin that.

Loc-tite doesn't last on exhaust parts.

Locknuts or washers are absolutely necessary on all the manifold bolts.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rockwood said:
I would just safety wire it or use a cotter pin. It would be easy to do with it off the car.
Can I ask how exactly you would do this... the cotter pin that is. As for safety wire, you would just wrap it a few times then tie it off (loosely) somewhere else, right.
Loc-tite doesn't last on exhaust parts.
I was pretty sure of that, but thought it couldn't hurt to try some 'red'.
Locknuts or washers are absolutely necessary on all the manifold bolts.
The turbo-to-manifold has the oem locking method still... the metal plate with the little ears to keep them from moving. As for the J-pipe, I'll keep an eye on them.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
McCoy said:
Can I ask how exactly you would do this... the cotter pin that is. As for safety wire, you would just wrap it a few times then tie it off (loosely) somewhere else, right.
For a cotter pin or safety wire, you just drill a hole through it.

McCoy said:
The turbo-to-manifold has the oem locking method still... the metal plate with the little ears to keep them from moving. As for the J-pipe, I'll keep an eye on them.
I just put lock washers on them and got them "gud-n-tight" :D

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
those stock metal plate shits with the flaps suck. all mine came loose... i just took that stuff off and put lock washers on those also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts