SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have recently bought these tires for my 92 Classic. Last weekend at San Diego at the SCCA championship I ran on some almost worn out BFG and they sucked. So later on X runs I put my street tires on and was able to run a time within .01 of the winning class time for ES. The driver who won ran on new Kuhmo V700 and is the same driver who finished 2nd to Mark Chiles at the El Toro Pro and finished 1st at the Atwater Pro, so he's no slouch.

I highly recommend these tires because they stick just like race tires. They have very stiff side walls so you can run at lower pressures. I used 35lbs at all four corners.

And the prices are very reasonable, I got all four mounted and balanced for 217.20 for 195/60/14's.

------------------
Art R.
1992 Sentra SE-R
SCCA Solo II Driver
Cal Club #823 E Stock

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Sweet! Sounds like a deal! When my SP8000s run out (which I hear are a poor autox tire, but great for drag style launches), I'll pick up a set of these bad boys.

Thanks.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Cool to hear that Falken is finally coming around. I've been autocrossing on Bridgestone RE-71s all summer, and am very, very satisfied. HOWEVER...Bridgestone doesn't make 'em any more, so it's good to know of another good autocross tire.
I WAS considering going to Kumho V700s (I'm in Street Mod, BTW), but wanted a street tire instead.
One more thingy...which model Falken are those? The Azenzi (spelling?)?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What is the treadwear rating on those tires? Would I be able to use them in the rookie classes (tw <140)?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The model is Azenis, you can get them at America's(Discount) Tire, Onlinetire.com and Vulcantire.com.
They are a very soft 200 treadwear.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
200 treadwear, huh? That's why I bought the last of the RE-71s: treadwear of 140. Which is EXACTLY the minimum allowed in STS, the class I *used* to be in, before SM.
Now, I have no tire restrictions at all, but don't want to go with full-on Kumho or BFG autocross tires.

I'll give these Falkens a look-see...thanks.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
195/60/14 is a little tall isn't it?

Sizes I wished they had:
195/55/14
195/50/15
215/45/15

If they had those sizes, I'd be on them like white on rice.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
195/60/14 is a little tall isn't it?

Sizes I wished they had:
195/55/14
195/50/15
215/45/15

If they had those sizes, I'd be on them like white on rice.

</font>
These are the sizes available:
195/60HR14
195/55VR15
205/50VR15
225/50VR16
205/55VR16
215/45ZR16
225/45ZR17
235/45ZR17
245/45ZR17
255/40ZR17
245/40ZR18
For drag racing I would agree they are tall but for autocross IMO the performance characteristics of these tires is the determining factor for me. You will have to stick with the P8000 for the 195/55/14 as they are the ONLY ones available in that size.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERracer01:
Alright my friend pick up those offline and when they came in we were lifting them and i noticed that my nails made an imprint on the tire. Man also its a very sticky compound. It even picks up dust from your tile floors. I think the treadwear on them are crappy though. Not sure yet. Man I need to get some of these for some Saturday night tires.</font>
Don't buy them if you want a long lasting tire. If I get 15,000 miles out of them I'll be happy since I autocross at practice events on them.

As for Sat Night I think they could work quite well. They grip very well at launch and seem to spin less than the Kuhmo 712 and the Yokohama AVSi's

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Barney will pwn you
382 Posts
Alright my friend pick up those offline and when they came in we were lifting them and i noticed that my nails made an imprint on the tire. Man also its a very sticky compound. It even picks up dust from your tile floors. I think the treadwear on them are crappy though. Not sure yet. Man I need to get some of these for some Saturday night tires.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
I know I had this in another forum, but I am beating myself up over sizes right now. I ordered the Rota Sub Zero's in 15 x 6.5 and I can't decide between the 205 50 15 or the 195 55 15. I was thinking about the 205 for a little wider tire, but now I'm not sure.

Advice is appreciated, and I can;t WAIT to get these things on the auto x course!

late,
wes

www.wes.nissanpower.com

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wes:
I know I had this in another forum, but I am beating myself up over sizes right now. I ordered the Rota Sub Zero's in 15 x 6.5 and I can't decide between the 205 50 15 or the 195 55 15. I was thinking about the 205 for a little wider tire, but now I'm not sure.

Advice is appreciated, and I can;t WAIT to get these things on the auto x course!

[/URL]
</font>
Wes I would probably stick with the 195. Less rolling resistance, lighter, shorter (better accelleration), and not that much more narrow. The 205 I heard is a REALLY wide 205. I haven't heard on the 195's as they are not available quite yet.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, Courtesy Exhaust, and Pretty looking pedals and shift knob

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Wes I would probably stick with the 195. Less rolling resistance, lighter, shorter (better accelleration), </font>
Actually the 205/50/15 tire is smaller. Obviously wider though, so I can't tell you which is lighter. For autocross speed through turns is very important so I would get the 205's for the extra grip plus the shorter sidewall should be slightly stiffer.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the 195 and they are almost as wide as the 205 Yokohama AVI's I had previously.
All I can say is I hope no one else is running on Falken's at the Nationals because I think they are going to be worth about 1.5 sec to me.

Art

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Jason Isley (currently 4th favorite to win D stock at Nationals in his Neon) ran the Falkens this weekend. On three year old Kumho V700s he ran a 48.8. On the new Falkens he ran a 48.9 ... with a passenger! Treadwear rating of 200? Yeah, right!

[This message has been edited by autoxer7 (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
You will have to stick with the P8000 for the 195/55/14 as they are the ONLY ones available in that size.

</font>

What about the TOYO T1-S 195/55/14 im gonna get those on my stock b13 rims

[This message has been edited by Black93 (edited 09-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Black93 (edited 09-09-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts