SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car takes awhile to warm up in the winter but fine in the summer, is this because of the thermostat? i think it is but not sure. anyways if it would it effect my car performance at all? my friend who has a 1990 celica changed his and now he gets worst gas mileage then before. just curious if it would affect my gas mileage or anything else.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Won't probably affect your gas mileage, but it might not be the Tstat that's your problem. Check your entire cooling system. A good backflush is in order if you haven't done it in a while.

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
You're WAY up north. These little motors don't create that much heat. It WILL take a long time to generate enough heat to open up the thermostat in the winter. My guess is if it's fine in the summer, it's fine. You might consider covering part (like, the bottom third) of the radiator in the winter with a piece of cardboard.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
When was the last time you checked the coolant level?

I have a weeping h20 pump and when the coolant got low during th winter my heat started to suck. I topped off the levels and have been keeping an eye on it and I haven't had any problems yet.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts