SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a '98 200SX SE-R 5-spd with 60K kms for around $14KCDN..and its fully loaded...now my question is there anything to look for in that car? And also did it come with a LSD like the classic Sentra SE-R and Sentra SE PP??

Do you think its a good buy?? Also how are insurance rates on it compared to another car such as a Maxima or Corolla..?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i believe the 98's did not have LSD... i also dont care for the front end but thats my opinion.

no other input here. love my 96 though, its a great car :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm selling my '95. It's $7400 USD. That's about $600 over low retail, but I've got about $2900 in upgrades done to it. Anyone interested?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Se-Racer said:
Don't make the same mistake i did. Get the pre98' 200sx you'll thank me in the long run.
Whats wrong with a '98 200SX SE-R?? Any reliability problems?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, Not reliability, just the lack of a LSD. Some people like the new front end, others hate it. I'm indifferent. But, The difficulty finding a Strut tower bar is kindof obnoxious, too. More parts available for 95-97 SE-Rs. That's what everyone is talking about.

-Andy Boyles, AZ
'95 200SX SE-R w/ goodies ;) for sale

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the lack of LSD is a big thing, but I've driven past cars without LSD so its not that bad..I can live..and I'm not going to do any major modifications...I"m sure there are basic suspension/engine parts for the '98 and also the pre-98s have the same engine so those parts should be interchangable..I do know that the '98 has some emissions crap in it that could hinder mods..but a simple ECU switch should fix that.

Also I can't find any pre-98s SE-Rs in Toronto..

·
Registered
434 Posts
Stock Brakes & Suspension suck......

My opinion........If you buy one, your not gonna like the brakes, I hate mine and cant wait until my NX's come in. Also the stock suspension is annoying, it rides smooth, but during accelleration and braking it dips and dives more than I care for (note: my car has 80K+ miles so yours may not do this)

Other than that, I love my car, the engine sounds awesome, it has plenty of room, I just need to upgrade what I mentioned above.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was under the impression that the SE-R was a great handler and had 4-wheel disc brakes! I know that Nissan brakes are mushy (same in the Maxima) but they do stop the car well.

How does the SE-R corner? Lots of body roll? As long as its fun to drive..I'm happy. I read reviews of it on Edmunds.com and they all said it was great car that was really fun to drive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
mAdD INDIAN said:
I was under the impression that the SE-R was a great handler and had 4-wheel disc brakes! I know that Nissan brakes are mushy (same in the Maxima) but they do stop the car well.

How does the SE-R corner? Lots of body roll? As long as its fun to drive..I'm happy. I read reviews of it on Edmunds.com and they all said it was great car that was really fun to drive.
Dont get me wrong, its a real fun car to drive, it corners well, and it responds well to mods, and the LSD is a big plus, w/o it my front tires would be bald (especially if I still had my friends H rated tires/rims on my car).

I just dont like the brakes, I honestly think they suck a big one, but the suspension is just no good for stop and go traffic like south Florida.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Why a 1997 is better than a 98-99:

1. LSD
2. JWT ECU
3. Tranny
4. Cams
5. More emissions crap
6. STB fittments

True, 98-99 are the worst of all of them, in terms of performance. However they are just as reliable or maybe even more so than the 95-97's.

If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten a 1997 200sx SE-R instead of my 1998 Sentra SE, maily for the first 3 reasons I listed up top. But regardless, there is a solution to all of these problems but it just requires some more money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking at a '98 5-spd, so I'm assuming the '98 and '95s have teh same tranny..

I don't I could afford the JWT ecu, cams, etc..so it makes no difference to me. On top of that, I can't find any pre 98 Se-Rs.

I have found some '96 200SX SE..are they the same as the SE-R?

Also does hte '98 SE-R have stiffer shocks than normal 200SX? Similar to hte Sentra SE with PP compared to normal Sentras.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey buddy there is a 98 SE-R w/ 48000kms at Orangeville Nissan.
They were originally asking 15800 but its down to 12995, check it out, I was gonna buy it but the colour discouraged me, its TImber Frost. Anyways it was a damn clean car, i only saw one ding on it and the rims werent curbed. Oh BTW it has the Option Package too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ATLANTICBLUE said:
Hey buddy there is a 98 SE-R w/ 48000kms at Orangeville Nissan.
They were originally asking 15800 but its down to 12995, check it out, I was gonna buy it but the colour discouraged me, its TImber Frost. Anyways it was a damn clean car, i only saw one ding on it and the rims werent curbed. Oh BTW it has the Option Package too.
That's the one I'm looking at! I don't mind the colour, so its ok. Have you driven it? I haven't seen it in person yet, Orangeville is kinda far from here =)...I willgo check it out on the weekend though...How do the rims look? Also you think they will go down on the price..?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I drove the car for a good 40 min, i was serious about it.
but the car is in good shape. The Rims are immaculate as the rest of the car is. However the colour in person is very dissapointing IMO. The tires need replacement soon, they probably barely passed certification. Interior is immaculate more or less. The pass window does not go down smooth at all, but im sure they would fix it. The clutch was absolutely horrible, they told me it needed adjustment. It was stiff as hell and stuck down to the floor several times, however, they told me it was a new clutch. All in all i wasnt too impressed, but i think they are willing to deal and id say picking that car up for high 11G isnt out of the question at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope you didn't beat on the car! =)

Do you think they would replace the tires and power windows??

Also, what does the '98 SE-R redline to?? 7500RPM?? I was reading a discussion on Edmunds.com and someone mentioned that the SE-R redlined at 7500RPM...is this true??

Apart from the clutch, tires, and window, was there anything else wrong with the car? Also how was the dealer? Friendly or stuck up?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
btw ATLANTICBLUE - You should join Maxima.org if you haven't already. We have a Toronto Maxima Club and we often have meets.

There's a supercharged 2k Maxima in Toronto also, its' white with a ninja bodykit. You've prolly seen it somewhere..

Anyway be sure to join our little group!

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
mAdD INDIAN said:
I hope you didn't beat on the car! =)

Do you think they would replace the tires and power windows??

Also, what does the '98 SE-R redline to?? 7500RPM?? I was reading a discussion on Edmunds.com and someone mentioned that the SE-R redlined at 7500RPM...is this true??

Apart from the clutch, tires, and window, was there anything else wrong with the car? Also how was the dealer? Friendly or stuck up?
Unfortunately, no, the 95-99 SE-R's all redline (fuel cut off) at about 7100rpms.

The 91-94 SE-R and 91-93 NX2000 redlined at 7500rpms. As always though there is a solution if you have the $$, the JWT ECU puts the redline at 7800rpms on both models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
about getting a 200SX SE-R

This is an interesting thread, so I'll throw in my $.02 worth. I found my white 96 200SX SE-R with a 5speed and very clean at a Toyota dealership in Sacramento in May 2000. I had to get a car after some idiot plowed into my custom Orange 72 VW Super Bug..I'm taking that F**** Idiot to court

:D

The car is great. I would hope you can get ANY year SE-R. My one gripe is that aftermarket support for any Nissan (and espcecially the 200SX SE-R) is lacking..Heck, even the Miata seems to get more attention.:mad:

Being in CA, I have to deal with the insipid smog laws, so some parts that I would install in a minute just aren't possible. If $tillen or HP would make their headers CARB certified, I would be calling them in an instant.
:)

Anyways, what ever you do. Make it Nissan. If you get a honda, well....you've been warned. After all, your mother drives a honda.:p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts