SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Man with slow car
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually ever measured the od of the pacesetter cat-back? I had an awfull buzz from my exhaust, so I bought a 2 1/4" glasspack to replace my resonator. Much to my surprise it wouldn't fit my pipes. My friggin pipes are 2". I measured afterward , stupid me!!!! Anyway my car feels much better, and sounds better with the new glasspack installed in place of the resonator, if any one cares. Oh and I think the inside of the ps resonator is louvered.If Louvered means a bunch of small ridges with holes in them? Instead of just being perforated with no ridges just holes, se-r.net says the louvered style glasspacks cause major backpressure. I wouldn't be surprised if this was on the ps cat-back. I hope my post wasn't to boring.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
R U Positive its only 2" !?!?! I have a pacesetter and I am going to be very upset if it is. Thanks for posting this - I might have a looky tomorrow.

·
Man with slow car
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is quieter. sounds much better. And I'm positive mine is 2". When I bought it from summit racing the sales guy said The cat-back was the same for both the ga & the sr. Any one else wanna check & see if the one made for the 200sx is 2".

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Louvered core mufflers look like mini blinds when the blinds are open about half way.

preforated core usually has several holes but the holes don't narrow the Inside diameter of the muffler.

·
Man with slow car
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The inside of the pacesetter had lots of small bumps that go in a spiral pattern, with no holes at all. I would think that could possibly cause backpressure.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Louvered core is straight through... it looks like a bunch of hooks sticking out into the airflow... a perforated core would be just a bunch of holes with nothing sticking out... Those hooks in perforated core mufflers/resonators are bad for flow and usually louder that perforated core straight through mufflers.Also has anybody taken apart a P/s muffler? Is it staight though or is it like a crappy flowmaster with a bunch of baffles?

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Im willing to bet money the PS has baffles - I might be able to check on that a lil later today.

·
Man with slow car
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I don't know why every one has it listed as 2 1/4". Mines only 2". I'm kinda pissed. I could have had one made for the money it cost me. I work with a guy that makes custom exhausts for hot rods, and summit racing sells mandrel u bends for $13.95. If I bought the u bends, Bought 2 1/4" pipe thats only $9.39 for 4', bought a glasspack for another $20.00, and used the muffler I already had I would of been set. It's a good thing I live five minutes from summit. Check out page 67 in the summit catalog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts