SR20 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Frank did have the 100 shot program. The best theory I have heard is that a full bolt on car plus a 100 shot is dangerously close to the fuel limits. After squeezing for 80000 miles or so, his ORIGINAL STOCK FUEL PUMP started to go. He went slightly lean sometimes and developed a crack in the piston. Then later the piston shattered and boom, metal parts were running into metal parts that they weren't supposed to.

Just a theory I have heard on the list, not necessarily correct, but it sounds pretty good to me.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Yes, if I went with the 100 shot I would definately get bigger fuel injectors.

[This message has been edited by 97 Black SER (edited 12-23-2000).]

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Ok, me neither, but I'll be sure to think about it or buy a new one if I go with the 100. That won't be for awhile so I shouldn't have to worry about it til next year.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I dont think jim wolf would even do a 100 shot w/o any injector upgrade. the injectors are maxed out around a 50-70 shot.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
but not just injectors. You would need to
check how close your MAF is to it's upper limit
and how the fuel pump is doing. I dont even know how to check the fuel pump.
</font>
The stock fuel pump tops out at around 250hp. I don't know if it matters weither or not the maf tops out because the nos is being injected into the fuel making the power not the air like in a turbo set-up. In James Ferarra's(sp?)10 sec Classic they were making up for the fuel/maf shortage with adding nos? so I think nos is a bit diffrent when it comes to mesuring when things top out.

Mike

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
D'OH! Good point about NOS and MAF readings. The NOS is injected into the air stream after the MAF and the ECU switches fuel maps. It doesn't affect the MAF reading at all. What was I thinking??

About the fuel pump:
A normal bolt on car is around 150whp + 100hp NOS shot gets you dangerously close to the limits of the stock fuel pump. And when its already got 150000 miles on it, who knows what its output is. If I was going to run a 100 shot, I would upgrade the fuel pump. Even on my <30000mi car. Its not worth the risk of not replacing it when its not that hard of a job (i think).

[This message has been edited by jacen99SE (edited 12-25-2000).]

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
A normal bolt on car is around 150whp + 100hp NOS shot gets you dangerously close to the limits of the stock fuel pump. And when its already got 150000 miles on it, who knows what its output is</font>
Funny thing is,Frank had a new(er) fuel pump on hand. He had just been too lazy to put it in.

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 12-27-2000).]

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.