SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, guys, how do you get the throttle body off? My car is a 94 and I am sure the TB/intake plenum has never been cleaned; I'd like to pull it off there and give it a number one de-gunking. I need to know what to undo, whether I need to drain the oil, how long it should take, what to be extra careful of, etc. Assume I'm an idiot who knows nothing, if you haven't already

TIA

------------------
1994 SE-R Super Black
POP Charger, STB, 15" rolling stock, more to come...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey fellow idiot here. All you need to do is disconnect the cables from the throttle assembly and the coolant hoses too on the bottom. Then comes the 4 bolts. They can be a b-otch so use plenty of penetrating oil. Remove the main feed from the MAF and I think that's it. I haven't done it in a while. But you will probably want to get a new gasket b4 you start so you have it ready for re-install.

What did I forget?

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the injectors? I know they're attached underneath somewhere, but not how.

I'm talking about removing the whole assembly that sits directly behind the valve cover; looks like a metal bottle turned on its side, with the big black rubber tube leading into it from the MAF.

·
Registered
450 Posts
man! Don't have to do that! Once you get the body off the manifold (the bottle looking thing)you should be able to look right in it and clean it good. It usually isn't very dirty there at all anyway. The throttle plate is the thing that gets all gunky and I have seen people to take it off to clean it. But sorry, taking the manifold off it beyond the Ho man..

[This message has been edited by Horus (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By cables I assume you mean the one that controls the flapper inside (connected to the loud pedal) and the other one that I have never seen move, right? And not any kind of electrical cable?

What kind of connections do the coolant lines have? Will this drain my coolant if I'm not careful? If so, where should I refill - at the radiator or at the overflow bottle?

Thanks again

·
Registered
450 Posts
The coolant won't all come out Just a very little. The other cable that doesn't move is the cruise control cable. That has to come off too if you have cruise. (remember just the cable off the body. NOT the springs. but I don't think they come off anyway.
The coolant is actually to warm the throttle body in very cold weather. It just runs a little warm coolant in and out to bring keep it from freezing in winter.

Oh yea, I had to go out and look There is an electrical connecter on the back that should slip off when you release the clip on it.

Helps to go look hu?

[This message has been edited by Horus (edited 08-11-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts