SR20 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone just posted a message about cleaning the TB on a 94' SE-R, but I was wondering how to take it out and clean it on a 91'. The 91' has the TB in a different location then the 94'. It seems like its really hard to take out. Anyone got any advice on how do go about cleaning it?

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
If anything, I imagine the TB on a high port SR would be easier to clean. Once you remove the intake hose (the large one), you have access to the TB. Easy.

You don't necessarily have to remove the TB to clean it. You can use a toothbrush soaked in carb/TB cleaner to scrub the crud and a small hand mirror (easily pilfered from a girlfriend, wife, etc.) to see what you're doing. A twist-tie can be used to hold the TB plate open as needed.

At least, that method worked for me. After 110k+ miles with I assume no prior cleaning, my TB was fairly crud-free. I bought a new TB gasket expecting to take the TB off, but I didn't need to. Go figure.

I'm sure full instructions are on SE-R.net if you need them.

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
Yea, that is a very good way to clean it..you dont have to take it off, you may want to use something biger the a tooth brush, it goes back about a food..but the main this is to get that build up from arod the flap thing..see how clean mine is? uyou have to goto my site to see it
but thats CLEAN! only because its a new engine hehe

------------------
- Dennis
http://www.geocities.com/sr20deswap/
-91 Classic w/ Priemra Swap

·
Garage Queen: 91 VG30DETT
251 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mpg9999:
I know someone just posted a message about cleaning the TB on a 94' SE-R, but I was wondering how to take it out and clean it on a 91'. The 91' has the TB in a different location then the 94'. It seems like its really hard to take out. Anyone got any advice on how do go about cleaning it?</font>
it's not hard at all. after you take the intake piping out, just unscrew the 4 allen wrench type bolts and it's off. it's just the location is different. also, plug a screw driver on the coolant hoses after you detach them from the tb. you don't want that thing spilling all over.

------------------
91 SR20DE
97 H22A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts