SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seem to get conflicting answers on this from different people. fuel is consumed when it is injected into the chambers for combustion... effectively turning the crank ... hence gas consumption is a direct function of RPM... correct?

so let's say you're hanging around 30mph, you be burning less gas mashing the throttle in 5th gear @ 2000rpm as opposed to light throttle in 3rd gear @ 4000rpm... correct?

(those are arbitrary number, and assume that you're accelerating very slowly in 5th because of lower gear and etc...)

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Sounds right. Don't hurt your brain thinking about **** like that.
Light foot=good mileage
Heavy foot=not so good mileage
If the car is in tune.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've heard that the engine is more efficient went it is at WOT. The best mileage to the tank on my car so far, was somewhere around 380. This was 1/2 freeway cruising at 70, and the rest of the tank was some spirited desert foothills driving. Your results may very.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
I've heard that the engine is more efficient went it is at WOT. The best mileage to the tank on my car so far, was somewhere around 380. This was 1/2 freeway cruising at 70, and the rest of the tank was some spirited desert foothills driving. Your results may very.</font>
yeah.. ive read somewhere also that its best to accelerate quickly to desired speed and then cruise rather than accelerate slowly...

still
... 380?!?!?! I'm gonna get about 260miles on this tank... (filled 10 gal), but then again it's been mostly street driving...

·
Registered
705 Posts
I say who gives a ****. I am lucky to get 300 miles to a tank no matter how heavy or light my foot is
Dont see me cryin about it

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Miles to the tank is a subjective, and error-prone index of fuel consumption. That's why manufacturers report it in miles per gallon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I get 400+ miles per tank all the time on the freeway, no problem. That's with the cruise set on 78 with a basically stock '94.

G

·
If you're driving the car the way its meant to be (put your foot down and hold it there), you'll get crappy mileage, but you'll pass everyting, and have more fun doing it. I get 460Km/tank- don't know what that is in mpg, but its not very good- oh well! She's a Honda Killa.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
that's 286 per tank. Thats about where i fill up the tank too. That usualy works to about 25-27 mpg. I hadn't thought about the throttle position too much, or the gearing. That makes sense too. I cant wait to get my intake.

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I've heard that the engine is more efficient went it is at WOT.</font>
Hmmm. Then why do I get 8mpg on track?

Actually I've heard something similar. It's better to chug along at low rpm/WOT than higher rpms and partial throttle. Don't quote me on that, unless it's true.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:

Not quite. Gas consumption is a direct function of air ingested. Floor it to 6000rpm and let off the gas pedal (which closes the throttle plate). Air is no longer going through the MAF and entering the engine, therefore your gas consumption has gone down.
</font>
but isnt fuel expended onto to create combustion in the cylinders ?

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I heard that light mods increase mileage. This is because they are basically freeing up power, more than actually making power like a cam or something else would. So the same speed will be acheived at a lower rpm, especially good for freeway cruising.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">hence gas consumption is a direct function of RPM</font>
Not quite. Gas consumption is a direct function of air ingested. Floor it to 6000rpm and let off the gas pedal (which closes the throttle plate). Air is no longer going through the MAF and entering the engine, therefore your gas consumption has gone down.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So the same speed will be acheived at a lower rpm</font>
This is impossible. Speed is dependant on your gearing only. Modding your engine does not change your gearing, so it has no effect on speed vs rpm. 5th gear rpm at 70mph (as indicated by the speedometer) will never change unless you change your gears.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">so let's say you're hanging around 30mph, you be burning less gas mashing the throttle in 5th gear @ 2000rpm as opposed to light throttle in 3rd gear @ 4000rpm... correct?</font>
If you believe what I wrote about gas consumption depending on air ingested, do this experiment:
1. Buy and install a CAI.

2. go mash the throttle in 5th gear @ 2000rpm and listen to the intake growl.
3. now drive at light throttle in 3rd gear @ 4000rpm and listen to the intake growl.

I think you'll use more gas at 5th gear WOT at 2000rpm than light (how light is light??) throttle in 3rd gear at 4000rpm.

Just floor it and don't worry about the gas mileage

G

·
My wife drives like a baby in our G20, and gets 17-18 MPG with the AC running. I drive the crap out of it and get 21-23 MPG. It's pretty consistant.

-Jay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts