SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to first state what I would want out of my ideal turbo car. I want something that is quick (low 13s-high 12s down the 1320), fairly high boosted (16-18psi) and also highly streetable, for example, something that I can take to school and the track with.

What is the difference between both wastegates? Why is the tial way more superior as compared to the deltage? And would a tial wastgate be necessary to reach my goal? I also am looking into acquiring a BB det and running a similar setup as Louis Anaya but not planning to be so extreme. I would be jus happy hitting high 12s all day.

Thanks,
Chris Alfonso

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Let me make an attemp to answer this

pretty simple from what I heard. The deltagate wastegate allows boost creep after 10-ish psi (don't quote me on this). Its not able to bypass enough gases around the turbine if you go higher than 10-ish psi. The tial is able to bypass gases much better than the deltagate on higher boost levels. Ok guys, tell me if I got this totally wrong?

-saaby

------------------
Red 99 SE with: CAI, Stillen Front STB, Redline MT90

·
Registered
448 Posts
Deltagate sucks. It's cheap and you get what you pay for. Boost creep and failure.

TiAl is the ****, HKS a close second.

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:

TiAl is the ****, HKS a close second.
</font>
TiAl is used on LeMans turbo cars. I don't mean that TiAl custom makes wastegates for LeMans cars.... I mean, the same TiAl WG you go out and buy is the same one that the LeMans guys use.

If *ANY*, and I mean *ANY* part can survive LeMans, it is a top rate part. You will *NOT* break it on your street car.

Rob

·
Registered
782 Posts
I recently rebuilt my Deltagate since it wasn't working properly. This was the same Deltagate that came off of my burned 1993 Sentra SE-R. The diaphram and spring were tweeked from the fire. I have not had one problem with the Deltagate other than this one. I have seen diaphrams deteriorate because of heat almost every time. The only apparent reason that most people get the Deltagate is price. $159.00 Deltagate -vs- $350.00 Tial. You choose! Both Ben Benavides and myself have used the Deltagate wastegate and they have worked for US. I have never had an overboost problem with my Deltagate. I have a 7-9 psi spring and it regulates boost @ .5 bar all the time. Don't get me wrong, Tials are very nice units, but the Deltagate has been an inexpensive alternative to the high dollar wastegates on the market for a long time. Even if they do need to be rebuilt, the spring usually runs $8.00 and the diaphram is $22.00. Like Jay said, "you get what you pay for", but the Deltagate isn't as bad as some people make them out to be.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yea maybe I should not have been so harsh on the Deltagate, I know a lot of people use them. That seems to be all the GN guys use.

It's obviously not up to the quality of a TiAl but for the money I suppose it's better than a ported internal gate.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
well U can get the 35mm Tail for 200 :p

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by APEXSER:
I recently rebuilt my Deltagate since it wasn't working properly. This was the same Deltagate that came off of my burned 1993 Sentra SE-R. The diaphram and spring were tweeked from the fire. I have not had one problem with the Deltagate other than this one. I have seen diaphrams deteriorate because of heat almost every time. The only apparent reason that most people get the Deltagate is price. $159.00 Deltagate -vs- $350.00 Tial. You choose! Both Ben Benavides and myself have used the Deltagate wastegate and they have worked for US. I have never had an overboost problem with my Deltagate. I have a 7-9 psi spring and it regulates boost @ .5 bar all the time. Don't get me wrong, Tials are very nice units, but the Deltagate has been an inexpensive alternative to the high dollar wastegates on the market for a long time. Even if they do need to be rebuilt, the spring usually runs $8.00 and the diaphram is $22.00. Like Jay said, "you get what you pay for", but the Deltagate isn't as bad as some people make them out to be.

</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts