SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this problem. it's really bugging me.
As soon as I start driving, there is this tick-tick noise coming from the speedometer area. It sounds as if something is turning and keeps hitting the end of a piece of paper. Maybe I'm not explaining this correctly, but it's bugging the crap out of me. It happens at every speed, and it doesn't get louder or softer, it's just whenever the car is moving.

Could it be something with the mileage meter? Could something be hitting it when it turns? Please help.
Thanks,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did reset the trip computer. I even tried pressing down (lightly) on the plastic covering to see if that was loose, but nothing. It drives me nuts. I'm thinking it has something to do with the mileage meter. What else could it be?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dammit! Mine does that too! Seems to be only between about 25 and 40 mph though. It's quiet, maybe that's just the only range I can actually hear it in. I reset the trip odo every time I fill up, so it's not that. Hmmm... Hope someone figures this out.

·
too many toys
386 Posts
MEclassic said:
Dammit! Mine does that too! Seems to be only between about 25 and 40 mph though. It's quiet, maybe that's just the only range I can actually hear it in. I reset the trip odo every time I fill up, so it's not that. Hmmm... Hope someone figures this out.
Mine does it as well (usually when its cold out), and I'm pretty sure its the speedo cable being pulled/tugged slightly from the transmission. I'm going to replace my clutch this week, and the cable will be replaced at the same time, so I'll let ya know if it goes away.

Aaron

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Does the speedo needle also bounce up and down a little as you accelerate, or does it rise steadily?

If it's bouncing, the speedo cable needs replacing.

·
too many toys
386 Posts
spnx said:
Does the speedo needle also bounce up and down a little as you accelerate, or does it rise steadily?

If it's bouncing, the speedo cable needs replacing.
Its solid on mine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bingo! speedo bounces at those same speeds (no coincidence I'm sure). Sounds like problem solved. Great, seems like I find a new thing I need to fix every few days on this car. Oh well, such is owning an 11-year old car with a questionable service history...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my speedo has always bounced a little between 15-40 mph, but the noise is new. Why would it all of a sudden start making noises.

I think I just have realize that a 10-year-old car is going to squeak and rattle and I'm just going to have to live with it. Oh well, at least my car is still quicker than many news cars today.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My speedo did the same thing.

I got fed up with it and just pulled the damn thing out until I got the new cable from courtesy. Once I put the new cable in all my probs went away!

YAY!

Sam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts